PDA

View Full Version : Totally disappointing car seat safety check

jenjenfirenjen
04-21-2006, 01:11 PM
This was the 3rd time I've had a car seat safety check. The first, before DS1 was born, was for his SnugRide and it was the best...definitely the most thorough. I had another when I moved him into his Roundabout. I just got a new car and I got the Roundabout checked as well as the SnugRide for baby #2.

I had already installed the SnugRide myself using the pool noodle they had given me at the first check. Granted, it's a different car but she immediately said I didn't need that and just used the foot of the base. She didn't do much...tightened it up and said it was fine. Now maybe this isn't required but at the 1st check I went to, they had a tool to check the recline angle of the SnugRide. She didn't do that today and I asked her about it. She said she didn't need it...it LOOKED alright and the gauge on the side of the seat was in the blue so it was fine. I'm sure it's OK but heck, I can install a seat and see that it's in the blue. I really liked at the first check that they could say definitively that it was at the proper angle.

On the Roundabout she didn't do much but was concerned that DS was outgrowing it, height-wise. He is 34" tall and the top of his head is still below the top of the seat. I told her that my plan was to get him a Marathon for when baby #2 goes into the Roundabout since it has more room height-wise. She wondered aloud if he shouldn't maybe go into a booster. At 18 months??? Huh! I said, uh, no, I'm just going to put him in the Marathon. She said, well, just be sure to check Graco's or Evenflo's websites to see what seats they have that have higher height allowances. I don't expect her to endorse my choice of Britax. I really thought they weren't supposed to recommend or not recommend brands. Am I wrong on this?

Anyway, it was just a totally disappointing experience and I left there not feeling nearly as secure as should have about my car seats. I'm sure they're fine but would you have them checked again somewhere else, especially the SnugRide?

KrisM
04-21-2006, 02:28 PM
You can check in recline angle using a piece of paper folded so that it contains a 45 deg angle. Take a regular 8.5x11 sheet and fold at 1 corner so that you end up with a triangle with an added rectangle at one end. Does that make sense at all? It would look like this:

Except that the top angle would be 45 deg, not the small angle I show.

You can then put the folded side against the seat, while your car is parked on flat ground, and see if the top edge is horizontal. If so, you're there.

I would probably not take it back for just an angle check. too frustrating!

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-22-2006, 02:59 PM
the paper check is a great way to check angle.

are you in the states? if so, graco and evenlfo don't have any seats that go past 40lbs, so I don't know why she would recommend them over a Marathon... though I don't know the weight of your 18mo old.

also, I don't know why she would utter a word about a booster for a child under 4, let alone a child under TWO.

I'd call and complain about her.

jenjenfirenjen
04-22-2006, 07:37 PM
She clearly had no idea what a Marathon was.