PDA

View Full Version : Britax Parkway Vs. Graco TurboBooster Vs. Safeguard Go - Which is better?

Kungjo
04-21-2006, 05:05 PM
I would like a second seat for my 4 year old DD (39", 33 lbs). She is mainly in a Britax Marathon in my car but I would like to purchase a second seat for Grandma's van and for travel. Something lighter than the Marathon would be nice since I will have two in car seats. I can imagine my DH griping about lugging either 2 Marathons or 1 Marathon and 1 evenflo through the airport. Sigh!!! I have a 2nd DD who is outgrowing her infant carrier and will be moved into an Evenflo Triumph. Not crazy about the Triumph anymore and am thinking that if that doesn't work out, then I will buy her a new Britax Marathon. Only concern is that she is a bit chubbier than DD #1. DD #2 is currently 1 year old and 21 lbs. Perhaps the Boulevard instead?

Anyway, for the occasional ride in Grandma's van and for travel, should I get her a booster? What are the pros and cons of the Britax Parkway, Graco TurboBooster, and Safeguard Go? Like the side impact protection on the Parkway (but van has side curtain airbags so is it necessary?), but is the Safeguard Go just as safe? Can the Safeguard Go be used as a regular seat when not used for travel? What should I do about a second seat/travel seat for DD #2? I believe that she's too young for the Safeguard Go.

Thanks,

Splash
04-21-2006, 07:45 PM
The safeguard go would be safer by far. It harnesses to 65 lbs IF you have a top tether and LATCH. It cannot be used without the top tether and I really don't know about anchors, but I think those are required as well. I don't think it can be used with a seatbelt.
She is too small for a booster, regardless of which one it is. The Go would keep her harnessed for a few more years, and then would be able to be used as a backless booster. It is also supposed to be very easy to carry since it collapses.
If you can find somewhere that has Radians to try out, that might be an option as well. But they are so hit or miss with the installation that I would not recommend buying one sight unseen.
Your second child is definitely too young for the Go. She needs to remain rear facing for now, since she can RF to 30 pounds in the evenflo (or 33 in a britax). A boulevard will fit her well, but it is the same seat shell as a marathon. I cannot imagine though that she is too chubby though, since my son is 3.5 months younger than her and 4 pounds heavier! He is chubby, but still.
For a travel/spare seat for her, you cannot beat the Cosco Scenera. It RF to 35 pounds, has high top slots (higher than almost all the other 40 lb convertibles) and is very light and easy to install.
If you are talking about buying three seats (I can't really tell by your post!) I would buy a BV for your OLDER daughter (who is FF) and put your younger daughter RF in the MA. The reason for this is that the BV offers side impact protection, and that is more important FF than RF. Unless one of them in in the center (which should be your older daughter) then I would put the outboard child (the baby) in the BV. Then I would buy a Safeguard Go for your older daughter's spare seat, and a Cosco Scenera for your younger daughter. Or use the Triumph in grandma's car and skip the second (third really) seat for your younger daughter.
Did that make ANY sense?

Kungjo
04-21-2006, 10:21 PM
Oops.....meant I was thinking of getting the Decatholon for DD #2 since she's kinda chubby. I like the adjustable crotch strap. Marathon doesn't have that, and am afraid if I get a Marathon for her, she won't fit. I'm use to the Evenflo Triumph since it's a deeper seat. Compared to that, the Marathon's crotch strap seems very shallow and short.

Also, I drive a 2005 Odyssey with side curtain air bags so do I really need a car seat with side impact protection?

Have a question about the Safeguard Go. If my LATCH system in the Odyssey states 40lbs, and the Safeguard requires LATCH, then how do I use it past 40 lbs? Do I go by the car seat's Latch limit or my Odyssey's?

Thanks,

Splash
04-22-2006, 08:06 AM
Yeah, I hate that my BVs don't have the adjustable crotch strap. It almost made me go with a DC for the second seat (after he was out of the basket, we've had a BV in one car since he was born) but in the end decided I didn't want to switch him between winged and wingless seats, lest he develop a preference.

You can use the Go all the way to 65 lbs with LATCH. The limits take into account a 40/48 lbs child PLUS another 20ish pounds of carseat. The Go is really more like a vest and weighs almost nothing. Therefore you only have to take into account the weight of the child, not the child and the seat.

A DC might be a good option for your younger daughter if you want that adjustable crotch strap. I don't know why Britax doesn't give us at least ONE more position for older kids. I mean, the seat is supposed to last to 65 pounds... make the seat a bit deeper! Charlie is already past where it comes out of the seat at only 8.5 months old. Oh well.

The side wings might be a bit overkill, but it never hurts! With side airbags, I wouldn't rule out a seat you like and can afford simply because it doesn't have the SIP. But all of the seats you were considering for your older daughter do have headwings of sorts.

I think a Go and a DC would meet your needs well. But the Go and the Triumph in grandma's car and use the other two in your car.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-22-2006, 06:17 PM
I agree.... the go would also be great because it'd probably be easy for grandma to use/install... and if she needs to take it out, it fits compactly in a case that she can toss in the trunk.

Kat

kellyotn
04-22-2006, 09:43 PM
The Safeguard GO can be used with a seat belt & tether, but it was "designed" for LATCH. If you go thru their website deep enough you get a pop up that says you can use seatbelts for it when harnessed. (If you go to where it has car compatibility, if you pick a pre-LATCH year, you get the popup, if I recall.)

HTH

jeanum
04-23-2006, 04:37 AM
I wanted to clarify some details about the Safeguard Go:

It is harnessed for 30 to *60* lbs. FF only (not up to 65 lbs.), and converts to a backless booster for 40-100 lbs.
Safeguard's website says the top harness slot is 17".
The Go also requires the vehicle seatback to have head support (like the Apex).
The Go can be also be installed with the seatbelt when harnessed but also must be top tethered.
The Go can use the lower LATCH anchors up to 60 lbs. harnessed, and can also use the lower LATCH anchors in backless booster mode.