PDA

View Full Version : Ok, how do you respond to a statement/question like this?

DeeEast
04-22-2006, 11:28 PM
On another board I am on, someone asked for recommendationd for car seats for their twins. A lot of the moms were saying that they had some kind of Britax seat, Marathon, Decathalon, BV, etc. and someone responded with this: "How can you all stomach spending $600 ($299 x 2) on car seats? I am definitely no cheap-o over here, but the thought makes my stomach turn. Especially when there are car seats out there that are just as safe for about 1/3 the price. Just wondering....."

I know my family probably thinks I'm nuts for having 3 Britax carseats for my 3 kids but at least they don't say anything because they know what a safety nut I am. If I had more time right now I would become a car seat tech, I swear.

KAK22
04-22-2006, 11:39 PM
I am so frustrated by comments like these as well!!! People will pay $20-30,000 (or more) for a car, but not $200-300 for a carseat. I can see not being able to afford an expensive carseat if you drive a really old car and honestly don't have the money, but if you can afford it don't you want a carseat that is simple to use everytime and keeps your most prized possession (your child) safe each and every time you're in the car???

My new favorite comment came from a friend of mine who was appalled that I will leave DD RF until 33lbs. She says it's too much of an inconvenience to put her DD into her seat RF. I said that small inconvenience is worth it to me if my DD is safer!!

new_mommy25
04-22-2006, 11:44 PM
I have Britax seats for both kids though I didn't spend $600. I bought my DS's Marathon through the co-op on this board in 2004 for $199. I bought my DD's Boulevard when it was on sale at Amazon recently for $225. I am a bargain shopper :)

That being said, I love the Britax seats for more reason than just the safety factors. We also have a Cosco Touriva and a Graco Comfortsport.

For one, the Marathon is the easiest seat I have ever installed. The latch anchors are fool proof and the seatbelt install is always nice and tight with the built in lock-offs. I wish all seats had lock-offs especially since my DH's car doesn't have locking seat belts so we have to use a locking clip with the Touriva in his car. ALso, the tether on the Britax is awesome for my son who is FF. It is really hard to adjust and get nice and tight with the Touriva or Comfort Sport. And when in RF'ing mode I love that the seats do tether because it's so much easier to get the correct angle and you don't need any noodles.

I also like how nice and padded the seats are and how the kids sit up a little higher. It was especially nice when DS was younger because he could still see out the window because the seat is so much higher.

I love how the Boulevard I bought for DD has SIP. Our car (Corolla) doesn't have any kind of side air bags so it gives me a bit more piece of mind. I wish the Boulevard had been availiable when my DS needed a convertible. I also love the adjustable harness on the Bouleavard. The seat is currently in my MIL's car while it awaits the birth of DD. Sometimes my nephew rides in the seat and it's so much easier to move the harness up and down with the knob instead of re-threading straps.

And lastly, I think they are worth the money because of how long they last. DS has consistently been in the 50th percentile and I anticipate him being able to use the seat until he is about 4-5 years old. There is no way he will be able to use the other seats that long so I would have to buy him another seat down the line anyway.

s7714
04-22-2006, 11:51 PM
Well, I guess my first instinct would just be not to respond just because things like that seem to turn out to be a hungry troll, iykwim.

However, my honest thought when I read this, is that people have their own comfort levels and opinions about what they spend their money on. Even if you had two car seats that were exactly the same safety wise but different prices, you'd still get people who'd pick one over the other for some particular reason--the difference in overall appearance, material choices, the price, etc. Take someone who goes out and buys a BMW--they could easily afford a cheaper car, say a Honda or something, that could very well be just as safe as the BMW, but they choose to buy the BMW for reasons that are all their own, whether it's a minor feature, just the name or whatever. Same holds true for car seats to a certain extent.

Jennifer
Mommy to
DD 3/03
DD 6/05

Calling fellow BBB SoCal moms...we'd love to meet you!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybargainssocal/

Kungjo
04-22-2006, 11:59 PM
My DDs are the most important treasures in the world to me. I would give my life for them. If I feel that I have to spend $600 for 2 seats and I could afford it, then I would buy it. It's a judgment call. To me, car seats are worth every penny if they can keep my DDs safe.

People spend their money on many things. She could probably afford to do the same but just doesn't want to or would prefer to use the money elsewhere because she has purchased seats that cost less but she considers them to be just as safe. That's not to say that she loves her kids any less. There are a lot of people who would buy stereos and plasma tvs as well. I think those cost a heck of a lot more than a car seat. Frankly, I would opt for the car seat given the choice.......

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-23-2006, 03:28 AM
okay... that's when I start a price breakdown.

normal convertible carseat (we'll say the popular evenflo Triumph) - 120dollars

x 2 in this case - 240 dollars (needless to say, I'm not putting in tax and I'm assuming this was for someone in the US)

now... since this seat is normally outgrown by age 3 (on average, 2.5yrs), we'll use the average age to break down cost per year.

120/2.5=48 dollars per year if you use it from BIRTH...

most children outgrow the infant seat at about 6mo... which would mean you're really spending 120 dollars a year for the twins

now... the Britax Marathon... will last your child until age 6 (5-7yrs)

270/6=45 dollars per year (so you're already saving if you use it from BIRTH)

most children outgrow the infant seat at about 6mo... which would mean you're really spending 98.18 dollars a year for twins[/]

Now I ask you... which is really cheaper?

Prices are all from babiesrus.com, by the way.... if you ordered from a website by phone (to ask for the twin discount) you'd save even more.

now... let's also compare our [i]98.18 figure to what happens when the children outgrow the triumph at 2.5... because we obviously aren't putting them in boosters.

the Graco Platininum Cargo (very popular for a harnessed booster) is 100 dollars

let's be optimistic and say that it will harness them till 40lbs... we'll say age 3.5 (average build again so that's why the age)

now since they are already 2.5yrs old, that means they will get 1.5yrs of use out of the harnessed portion of the seat and that they won't use them as boosters because they want a dedicated booster, since most people don't like the cargos as boosters.

100/1

200 per year for twins

the Marathons are STILL cheaper

now... since we will need boosters after the Marathon... here we go to break it on down.

Graco Turboboosters - 50 dollars each

since they are of average build, we're going to say that they last until they are 10 (booster use is usually till 8-12yrs old)

50/4= 12.50 per year

well, the kids outgrew them at 40lbs... but they aren't 4yrs old and certainly not ready for a booster yet, so we've got to get seats that harness longer...

we're back to square one... le'ts assume the parents have headrests... so they get the Apex... which will last till the kids are 6 for harnesses... but they don't like how it works as a booster (goodness knows I don't)

130/2.5 = 52 dollars per year

for twins 104 dollars a year The marathons are still cheaper per year this way.

the turbobooster figures would be the same then.

so now let's look at our totals.... remember our total length of time is 9.5yrs in the seats combined.

Marathon/TB Triumph/Platinum/Apex/TB

$320.00 $370.00

for twins.... $640.00 for twins.... $740.00

which is really cheaper, I ask you?

and if you didn't opt for the Apex... sure you come out cheaper... but your children won't be harnessed as long or you would have still bought the Marathon or the Regent at some point.

hudsonam
04-23-2006, 10:45 AM
I agree with this point of view, and I'd point these facts out to someone who questioned it. I think other seats are as safe as Britax, and you don't necessarily have to spend that much, but their high weight limits are definitely worth spending the money on now, and less money later.

kellyotn
04-23-2006, 10:57 AM
I agree with the long-term cost analysis. Its a tricky concept though. My oldest is 3.5 and my youngest 20 months and I still have a hard time imagining how fast they get bigger, heavier, older when I buy things. :) I still find myself making mistakes thinking, they'll use/wear/play with X for a long time!

I'm sure some people will just refuse to believe that their little 6 month old will outgrow a convertible car seat by two vs. a Britax that'll last until 6. So, they only consider the immediate costs and realize when its too late that a big Britax would have been better in the end.

Joolsplus2
04-23-2006, 01:03 PM
It's like shoes... you can buy 3 or 4 pairs from Payless and still not like them as much as one *really good* quality pair that will last you 5 years. (I have a box full of both lower-quality car seats and payless shoes to prove it, and the Britaxes and Ugg sandals are all I use, rofl!)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

KrisM
04-23-2006, 03:00 PM
I would do a cost breakdown, but approach it by first asking her what seat she is referring to. That way, I could estimate when it would be outgrown and ask what would be next, etc. Then add the cost and compare to a Marathon.