PDA

View Full Version : Safeguard Go: Does Anyone Have One?

Kungjo
04-22-2006, 11:50 PM
I am seriously considering this seat as a 2nd seat in my mom's 2005 Odyssey for my 4 year old (33 lbs, 39"). Does anyone have this seat or has tried it? What do you think? Would you buy this seat? What are the pros and cons?

LATCH limits in the Odyssey are 40 lbs, but I'm told by more insightful moms (thanks so much for your responses to my previous posts) that I can still use it up to the 65 lb limit because the seat is super light so I will only have to take the child's weight into account. That sounds great. Are there any cons to it?

Thanks so much.

jeanum
04-23-2006, 05:05 AM
Don't own it but it's tempting to me as a spare seat for travel. I doubt I could use it harnessed any longer than a Marathon though because the top harness slot height is similar and the Go harnesses up to 60 lbs.

Some details on the Safeguard Go to consider:

The Go harnesses for 30 to 60 lbs. FF only (not up to 65 lbs.), and converts to a backless booster for 40-100 lbs.

The Go can be also be installed with the seatbelt when harnessed but also must be top tethered. It must be top tethered to use the Go harnessed regardless of whether it's installed using LATCH or a seatbelt. The top tether requirement also means the Go cannot be used on a plane.

Safeguard's website says the top harness slot is 17" (similar to the Marathon).

The Go also requires the vehicle seatback to have head support (like the Apex).

The Go can use the lower LATCH anchors up to 60 lbs. harnessed, and can also use the lower LATCH anchors in backless booster mode.

I'm on the fence because of the top harness slot height and wouldn't use it for long before my long torsoed 4 year old DD (almost 17" torso height) would outgrow it by height in harnessed mode. I'm big on keeping her harnessed as long as possible. Also, using the Go as a spare in my parent's car is a "no go" (pardon the pun) because their car has a low seatback with no headrests.

HTH some.

Joolsplus2
04-23-2006, 12:59 PM
I have a friend with one and I've seen it IRL, it's definitely taller than the Marathon, but it might not be as comfy for every day travel... I'll ask her if it's ok to post her photos of it (with her smallish 8 yo showing how it buckles and tightens). Hang on till I can get to her and get the link, I'll try not to forget.
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Kungjo
04-23-2006, 09:13 PM
This seat will only go in Grandma's car and she will only sit in it if something came up and I couldn't pick her up from school. Maybe 10-15% of the time. Otherwise it will strictly be used for travel.

Do you think it's a safe enough seat? Is it flimsy? Just uncertain because it's so light weight and sounds too good to be true.

Thanks,

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-24-2006, 12:26 PM
it's very safe... Safeguard makes bus seats and that... this is not a new territory for them... and they went as far ast to test it with latch through the 65lb weight limit and the booster use...

the reason you can use latch with it as a booster is they found it did better during side impacts when latched... this may be true of all boosters, we will never know until more companies test.

Joolsplus2
04-24-2006, 02:04 PM
Yeah, nodding with Kat, it definitely is tested to the max (this is the same company that makes virtually all the harnesses used on all the carseats...IMMI... and they make some VERY cool bus seats). I still have to ask my friend if I can post her pictures (sorry! I'll get to it today or tonight!)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx