PDA

View Full Version : GRACO SAFE SEAT INFANT SEAT/CARRIER.... HELP? - thank you all for your help!

only1jessa
04-23-2006, 10:11 AM
I was told that the safe seat is replacing the snugride infant seat and that this (safe seat) is the better of the two seats. Does any one own one, and agree or disagree! HELP! This is my first baby!

Joolsplus2
04-23-2006, 12:46 PM
Nope, not replacing it at all, just a much bigger seat (it'll last maybe 18 months, the snugride might last 9-12 months, in general, but it's a couple inches taller and a little heavier, which you wouldn't notice if you plunk it into a snugrider or snap n go anyway)with a better installation set up on the base...I think there are a few comparison type posts if you scroll down a bit...you aren't alone in being curious about the differences! (Personally? I like the Chicco Key Fit even better, but I'd go with the SafeSeat one if I were buying anything today)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Splash
04-23-2006, 05:13 PM
I have one and I by far prefer it to the SR or any other infant seat on the market.
My nephew is in a SR 2 and yes, the SS is larger, but not extremely so.
My son outgrew his latch loc infant seat (same limits as the SR) by about 5 months. He is 9 months now with plenty of room to spare in the safe seat.
It is also a breeze to install with the seatbelt (latch is about the same as any latch seat). It is FAR easier to intall in my vehicle with the belt than his RF BV.
I would buy it over the SR any day. It will last so much longer, and it is a NICE seat. We don't really use it as a carrier much, but that's because he's 24 pounds! But it's nice to have the carrier option, and it is just a much more secure install than his BV was, so I can put him center for several more months (once he outgrows this, he will have to go outboard in my car).

E

jeanum
04-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Echoing what Splash posted, the infant Safe Seat is the second infant seat I've used for my 10 month old who also outgrew a Baby Trend Latch Loc at 6 months. My baby is long torsoed and about 30" tall and 20ish lbs. and she still has room in the Safe Seat before she outgrows it by height. I don't like to carry it far though with the baby in it, even though I'm pretty strong. It is very nice to have the carrier option when the weather is snowy/rainy, and when the baby nods off in the car, especially if you have more than one child to buckle into carseats. A Snugride wouldn't last you as long and costs almost as much or more than the Safe Seat, depending on the exact model. And it's so easy for me to install the Safe Seat with the built-in seatbelt lockoff that I never bothered to try a LATCH installation. As Julie posted, there are several other recent threads about the Safe Seat on here.

AtomicLush
04-23-2006, 11:30 PM
I personally chose the SnugRide 2 with Gracopedic foam because it weighs a couple pounds less than the SafeSeat and is less bulky. I've posted this previously, but my main consideration was that I would prefer to be able to use the infant seat to carry my baby without having to remove him from the seat for quick trips to the grocery store, post office, coffee shop, etc. and with the weight of the baby in the SafeSeat, I don't know if I'd be able to do that easily. Then when my baby outgrows the SnugRide, I can move into a convertible that has the ability to be rearfacing. By then, I probably wouldn't be able to use the infant seat as a carrier anyway due to my baby's weight and size. Hope this helps!

P.S. If you do look at SnugRides, I highly recommend getting one with Gracopedic foam because there was a WORLD of difference in how the seat felt, especially around the head and seat areas. The current models with the foam are the Metropolitan, Cotton Tail and Lotus. There are also some discontinued fabrics that may be available in Central Park and G Collection, but make sure you get the one with the higher weight and height limits. (I got mine for $129.99 shipped at Albee Baby.)

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-24-2006, 12:19 PM
the Safeseat will last longer, but both are equally safe.