PDA

View Full Version : So I may have bought a van...

Splash
04-23-2006, 05:27 PM
I think I bought a mini van today. I gave them a check for the down payment, but they have to ship it here from north FL (NO ONE in the vicinity had one with side curtain airbags).

We wanted a Kia Sedona. But IIHS recently rated it their gold top pick, so Kia is riding that wave to the shore and will not negotiate at all for anything. I could easily wait (and probably should!) but I want to get this done with.

I looked at the Sienna and liked it, and REALLY liked having the 8 person option.

But I went with a Ford Freestar. It got higher side impact ratings with NHTSA than the Sienna did (though not so on IIHS, which confuses me) and they had $5K cash back incentive, so I went with it.

I guess the deal is done. Once it gets here, if I like it (I am sure I will, as they had one on the lot with the exact same options save the airbags) then I am the owner of a mini van.

I'm trading in a 2005 Saturn Ion. I hate to trade in a car we've only had for a year... I like the car, but I just want something safer.

Anyone have a Freestar? Like it? Hate it? Somewhere in between?

What I did like was the center bench. I didn't really want captain's chairs, and there were NONE available with the side airbags. But the bench is centered. Instead of being off to the driver's side, it is directly center in the vehicle. So, essentially, it gives you two almost center seats, versus 2 outboard (with chairs) or one center/one outboard (with a normal bench). I measured it, and a carseat on each side would be about two feet from the side of the vehicle on the outer side. That with side airbags makes me very happy. There is LATCH in both of those positions, and in the center of the third row (so three LATCH locations).

I imagine we'll but his BV in it and leave the SafeSeat in my aztek (since it is a much better install than the BV). What do you think? It's probably about the same safety wise, so I think the BV will be the best option. IF I can find somewhere to tether it.

Joolsplus2
04-25-2006, 07:16 AM
IIHS has a considerably tougher side impact standard than NHTSA, BUT, it matters a lot more when you are in a lower, smaller car, not a big ol heavy minivan which would be better in practically any situation :). I have a friend with a Freestar, and she either really likes it or at least has no complaints, so I think it'll be great...I hope you get it soon!

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

elliput
04-25-2006, 07:22 AM
We don't have a Freestar, but I just wanted to thank you for your support (DH works for Ford corporate). ;-)

youngs97
04-25-2006, 08:06 AM
Be glad you didn't go with the Kia. I did and LOVED it initially (for about 4 weeks). Then it started having electrical problems. The cooling fan runs for hours until the battery dies. The power doors go wacko and have even come unlatched after driving away (the door doesn't open, it just pops like it wasn't shut good, even though I know it was closed). Of course this is a HUGE safety concern. We bought it (2006 model) on February 4th and it has already been in the shop 16 days. I am going to pursue the lemon law. I filed my notice of defect yesterday (15 out of service days). I am so ANGRY right now and Kia won't authorize the service department to make any repairs, because they can't replicate the problem. I reported the door malfunction to the National Highway Saftey Board. My fifteen month old sits right next to the door. I'm considering putting her in the third row, but I know the second row is safer (but not if the door flies open). JUST BE GLAD YOU DIDN'T BUY KIA!!!!!! Tell everyone you know not to buy Kia! IT IS A NIGHTMARE!!

AddiesMom
04-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Congrats on getting the side curtain air bags! We just looked at a Toyota Highlander and I was really ticked off that to get the side airbags you have to get a V6, no 4 cylinders come with side airbags. Plus it is $650 more! We ended up with the Honda Pilot since it is standard. I am just worried that I am going to whack a mirror off when backing out of the garage since it is much wider. :)

I will be thinking of you the first time you fill up the gas tank, it will probably have a much larger tank than your Ion! I did a partial fill-up last weekend and it was $45! :o