PDA

View Full Version : Chicco KeyFit or SnugRide or...

bensmom243
04-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Hi, we are looking for a new infant seat for our baby due in August. I thought I was going to get the Primo Viaggio seat, but for many reasons, it doesn't look like it will be a good choice.

I saw the KeyFit this morning at BRU and it looked like a nice seat, not too big, pretty narrow and relatively light. My big question is can it be used with a Maclaren Easy Traveller (their carseat frame)? I am set on getting that frame because of space constraints in our car with 2 other kids, it has the smallest fold. The SnugRide is a classic, so I can always use that. I am probably not interested in the SafeSeat as I don't keep the babies in the infant seat that long, but I could be swayed!

This seat will go in a Pilot (middle row, middle position) or in a Volvo V70 (which we don't have yet, but will by August). Any experience with installation of these seats in these positions?

Lots of questions, I know, but I thank you all in advance!

Jill, #3 Baby Boy!!

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-24-2006, 12:15 PM
I don't know if the keyfit would work on the easy fit... but if you bought the easy fit, you could tkae it to the store to try it out.

I'm sure the snugride would fit...

MamaParis
04-24-2006, 12:22 PM
I have a Keyfit and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

I'm not a huge fan of infant seats - but my last child came a little bit too early and so we had to use one and I REALLY love it!

For my older two kids - we used a Peg Perego Primo Viaggio, Eddie Bauer Designer 22, and a Graco Snugride.

I wasn't totally happy with any of them.

BUT I LOVE LOVE LOVE the keyfit! SOOOO easy to install with both latch or the seatbelt.
Everything on it is smooooooth and easy to use!
The infant padding is SOOO nice - MUCH nicer than the typical headroll that comes with most other seats.

Its fairly light to carry - although I admit to not carrying it around much as I prefer to keep the baby laying flat in a stroller or in a sling when we are out and about.

I can easily fit it in my car with 2 other BIG britax seats next to it - all RF .

I'm ver happy with the keyfit. I highly recommend it!

I'm not sure if it'll fit in the Maclaren car seat holder though ...

Joolsplus2
04-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Same here... LOVE my Key Fit... I have 5 others and that's my treasured darling... I never did find out if it works on the easy traveller, though, yet, and I went with the Kolcraft 2 (which is a bulky beastie in comparison, but pushes and steers nicely anyway and only cost $40)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

HereKittyKitty
04-24-2006, 03:36 PM
We just got a keyfit, as well, and it works well on a snap-n-go, as long as you use the straps. We got the snap-n-go used for $20 (from a local swap meet, but they're on craigs list all the time).

Now I just need the baby to put IN the seat... :)

bensmom243
04-24-2006, 04:57 PM
Thanks everyone, I have emailed Maclaren to check on compatibility, hopefully it will be good news.

The 2 colors on the KeyFit look almost identical to me. Is iceberg gray with orange accent and explorer brown with orange accents?

Thanks!

HereKittyKitty
04-24-2006, 05:05 PM
I think the explorer has red accents (the rest of the seat is kind of gray/brown) - but the plastic pieces on the seat are still orange. The iceberg is gray and orange. They're both nice.

I'm guessing mclaren will tell you it's not compatible, because it seems that's what everyone is officially saying. I think that just means it hasn't been tested with the seat yet - I'm not sure how often they update the compatability stats, but the keyfit only came out sometime last year, right?

lilac0422
04-24-2006, 08:20 PM
The brown with orange is Sahara (I believe). I have only seen it in a travel system at BRU.

mariza
04-24-2006, 09:32 PM
tinyride.com says it is compatible with *most* carseats and lists all several, but not the Keyfit. If it fits the others, I don't think you'll have a problem. Have you considered the Combi Flash? It has the Combi Tri-fold which is really small and holds many different brand carseats as well.
http://www.babyuniverse.com/pro/baby/85078/FlashEXUniversalCarrier-Grey.html

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-24-2006, 10:14 PM
black with orange is iceburg
black with red is explorer
the grey plaid is notting hill
the brown is sahara

and the all black is blackberry

the sahara and blackberry are only available as a travel system... the sahara with the cortina and the blackberry with the c1

MamaParis
04-25-2006, 08:31 AM
Iceberg is black with orange trim
Explorer is black with red trim
Sahara is Brown with orange trim (travel system only)

We have the iceberg and its a nice color combo IMO.

bensmom243
04-25-2006, 10:03 AM
THANKS ALL!!

I really appreciate the help. My Easy Traveller should be here by the end of the week and I will take it to BRU and test the different carseats. I really hope the KeyFit will work. The iceberg looks pretty nice.

Thanks again,

Jill