PDA

View Full Version : Leather Seats

craftysierra
04-25-2006, 11:47 AM
My inlaws just bought a car with leather seats. Do you put something between the carseat and the car or not?
Thanks
Sierra

Joolsplus2
04-25-2006, 02:24 PM
nope, don't bother using anything, leather is tough and cleans easily. :). If they really, really, really want to use something, check the carseat manual and see what it says (they may allow use of a mat, they may not).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

o_mom
04-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Julie,

What would you think of a piece of leather as an underseat mat? I think it would be thin, yet tough enough to prevent dents. You wouldn't have the drying effect of a towel, either. I have dents in my Odyssey from having the Scenera installed for two weeks. It has been almost two months now and they are not going away.

Joolsplus2
04-26-2006, 08:04 AM
Bah humbug, those knife-sharp cosco bottoms :P. Hmmm... Leather on Leather...sounds ok. Honestly it's really ok to use something thin that doesn't interfere with the installation, it's just a lot easier to tell people to use nothing at all, because of the few fruitcakes who use lumber, encyclopedias, and king sized quilts under their carseats (though I've found the thicker foam mats can make it impossible to install some infant seats, too...).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

craftysierra
04-29-2006, 02:27 PM
My MIL is really wants something. I am going show her the reviews on amazon that all say do not use. So the Scenera has a sharp bottom? I was going to take the seat she has for our car and replace it with one She has a wizzard now and looking in the manual I do not see anything about seat protectors.
Thanks Sierra

o_mom
04-29-2006, 04:34 PM
Yeah, the Scenera has some edges on the bottom that will dig in with a FF install. I'm not sure about RF, when the "foot" is folded, though. I would at least put some rubber shelf liner or a towel underneath. That may be enough to keep the dents out. I have not had any problem with my Britax seats as they all have the "sculpted" bottom.

I do have a Munchkin brand mat that isn't very thick that I may use next time. I get a super tight rock hard install with the captains chairs since you can recline while installing. I figure there is no way that mat can introduce an inch of movement.

shilo
04-30-2006, 01:44 AM
ditto the shelf liner here. rock solid install with BV with leather and shelf liner in mine and RA with leather and shelf liner in my mom's. you can move the BV about 1/4" with latch install and about 1/2" with seatbelt install in mine and the RA about 1/4" regardless of latch vs. seatbelt in my mom's.

hth, lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.