PDA

View Full Version : Booster Seats for Toddlers

mammanik
04-25-2006, 10:43 PM
Hi again :)

I'm the car seat layperson guru in my circle of friends- one of the very few committed to keeping my kids rear facing or in 5 pt harnesses as long as possible... Because of this, I'm not so sure about booster seats for toddlers so I'm coming to y'all for advice...

My friend has a very small 3 1/2 year old. He's about the same size as or smaller than my 2 1/2 year old. About 35 lbs and 36 inches? His grandparents take him in their car at least once or twice a week. BUT not often enough to keep a car seat installed in their car. Whenever my friend gives them his 5 pt seat, they never install it correctly- no matter how many times she has told them. (She can install seats tighter than anyone I know!)... So she is thinking about buying a booster for him to keep at their house because it shouldn't be too difficult for them to use. I told her that if they had high back seats, a backless booster would be good but if they had no head rests, she should get a high back booster. Is this correct? And any suggestions on the brand? I told her the Graco Turbo booster would be a good choice... I also told her, based on what I've read here, that a Cosco Touriva/Scenara would be a low cost option as a 2nd seat for the grandparents but there was the installation issue... Any ideas on how to resolve that? She says that not allowing him to go with them is not really an option. Also, are there any guidelines as far as height and weight for boosters? I know maturity is a huge factor but wasn't sure about the actual requirements...

Thanks so much!
Nicole
Mom to 5 Blessings

Megan 10/95
Joshua 12/97
Katelyn 7/01
Zachary 8/03
David 6/05

Joolsplus2
04-26-2006, 07:49 AM
I actually would not go with the Turbo...it's just way too easy for nonchalant grandparents to use incorrectly (they keep the headrest too low, and route the seatbelt wrong over the armrests, which can lead to increased risk of head and abdominal injury). The Britax Parkway fits little kids the best, and there's less for granparents to muck up (no armrests! plus, it's got a wider range of height for even older kids).
The scenera installs great and everything, but doesn't have a very long term use potential for a 3.5 yo, so a seat that becomes a booster later might be better...the Graco Cargos are easy enough to install and use, and the Evenflo combos (Chase, Generations, Bolero) are fine, too.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

kellyotn
04-26-2006, 08:37 AM
Hmm, why can't they keep it installed? Once or twice a week is a LOT! I would totally want to install a harnessed seat and just leave it there. Unless they *need* it out weekly I wouldn't want to bother.....

I agree with Julie, a 3.5 year old probably won't get much more use out of a Scenera. I know you said he's small, but 35 lbs/3.5 years isn't that small, is it? I think a combo seat (harnessed then booster) would buy him some more harnessed time and then can be a booster.

The Evenflos have that tricky harness adjuster knob system. Something to consider with the grandparents. The Graco Cargos adjust easier (front pull), but people prefer the Evenflos later when in booster mode....

The Safegaurd GO would be cool if they have top tethers and don't have really low seat backs. If they have LATCH its supposed to be really easy and light to move. What kind of car do they have?

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-26-2006, 01:17 PM
I agree... turboboosters are too tricky for those grandparents, from the sound of it. I'd go with the Parkway.

KrisM
04-26-2006, 08:57 PM
I'd try to convince them to leave it installed. Do they need to take it out for some reason? My DH only has DS in his car 2-3 times/MONTH and he has a seat always installed in his car.

kep
04-26-2006, 10:36 PM
>Hmm, why can't they keep it installed? Once or twice a week
>is a LOT! I would totally want to install a harnessed seat and
>just leave it there.

ITA. I recently had to move our seat about 7 times in one week, and I thought I'd lose my mind! Sounds like maybe the Britax booster might be the way to go. I ordinarily hate little kids in boosters prematurely, but I do agree that sometimes they can be safer than a really poorly installed 5-point harness.

Kelli
Proud Mommy to Lukey (4.2003)

http://lilypie.com/pic/060417/csSG.jpg http://b4.lilypie.com/G0VTm4.png

kijip
04-28-2006, 01:56 PM
They want to get a high back booster if they go the booster route. I agree that the Parkway is nice and easy to use.

35 pounds and 36 inches in not a particulary small 3 and 1/2 year old...not huge but not small LOL.

COElizabeth
05-05-2006, 06:05 PM
I am considering purchasing a booster seat for my 3.5-year-old DS for very occasional use in travel or going home from preschool with a friend (he currently uses a Wizard in our car). He is small (30 pounds and about 37.5 inches, but I need to measure again to be sure) so I am interested in the responses here.

I am confused about the Parkway recommendation, though, because I read on the Britax website that the seat is for children 38 inches to 60 inches (one spot on the website says 30 inches, but other places on the site say 38 inches). Would the Parkway be suitable for a child James' size? Is there a measurement I need to look at besides height (e.g. where the head hits, etc.).? TIA!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
and Charlotte, 11-04-04

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
05-05-2006, 11:36 PM
well, then by that height, he's too small for any booster.

the height requirement is the same for the graco and evenflo boosters... 38" minimum height.

for James, I would recommend the Evenflo Bolero... it makes a great harnessed seat that harnesses to 40lbs... has top slots equal to those of the Wizard, and makes a great booster because of the adjustable headrest and open belt guides.

Kmart has it on sale again: http://www.kmart.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=150820&Ne=12&N=1773&categoryId=1773&pCategoryId=12&gpCategoryId=11&sfp=Baby_3links_boosters

HTH