PDA

View Full Version : Carseat Expiration Dates

newyearsmom
04-25-2006, 10:57 PM
I have seen a lot of posts on this board about carseats expiring. When does this happen? I think I read somewhere that it is 6 years... Is this 6 years from the manufacture date printed on the seat? My oldest seats are from 2003, so I think I have a ways to go, but I want to be sure.

And just out of curiosity, why do seats expire? Are they not safe anymore even if they have never been in an accident?

Thank you!

mariza
04-26-2006, 07:23 AM
I'm sure one of the techs will provide more information, but since DD has had me up since 5am, I'll share what I have learned from this board in the past.
The average expiration date is 6 years, but you should check with the manufacture to be sure, it could be 5 years for some.
The seats expire because after a period of time the integrity of the plastic begins to break down, therefor making it more susceptible to failure in a crash. I think that the plastic becomes less pliable and instead of absorbing the impact it could just snap or break. I'm sure Julie or Deb can explain it better.

Joolsplus2
04-26-2006, 07:38 AM
Yup, plastic really does break down...and safety standards change..and they run out of parts...and bits and pieces get lost... There's a paragraph in the Britax FAQ about it, too.

Some seats are good for even 7 or 8 years, if they aren't too funky by then, lol (and covers don't expire...they do lose their anti-flammability coating I bet, but that's not a real big deal if you don't smoke in the car... and some really cute covers can earn like $80 on ebay...crazy!)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx