PDA

View Full Version : Which Britax for Honda Pilot?

mom2lilab
04-26-2006, 02:50 PM
Hi all,
I have a 4 1/2 month old who is 19 pounds and will be needing a new carseat soon. I would like one that will last as long as possible and be comfortable for him. He is very tall and I know will continue to be big for his age. I drive a Honda Pilot which does not have two latches for the middle seat. Which Britax marathon,boulevarde or decathlon would you recommend?
Anyone that drive this car have any tips on how I should install it?

I am not totally set on a Britax (just know it is one of the best) so if anyone has another suggestion for a carseat that would fit well in a Pilot please chime in.

Thanks!

AddiesMom
04-26-2006, 05:56 PM
I am going to jump in on this with another question. We just got a Pilot and a Marathon.

In the Pilot there are only LATCH anchors on the right and left, not in the center. But, there are 3 tether anchors in the back for forward facing (obviously one is for the middle seat). Does that mean you can still put the seat in the middle using a latch from each side, or do you have to use the seat belt?

jse107
04-28-2006, 10:54 AM
WE've got a Pilot and have a RA installed in the middle. I will have to go out and check to see if my husband installed with the outer LATCH or the seatbelt. We've used the seatbelts before and gotten a very tight fit--very secure, both rear and forward facing. The Pilot is so roomy in the back, so you'll have lots of space any way you install it.

bubbaray
04-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Unless your manual SPECIFICALLY says that you can use the 2 inner LATCH anchors for a center install, you aren't supposed to do that (b/c the LATCH anchors are supposed to be a specific distance apart, due to crash testing etc.).

I believe that Ford allows for that use on some of their cars, but I know that when I had my Acura (Honda product) and I specifically called Honda Canada and asked about this (b/c my seat had been inspected and the tech chewed me out for how DH installed it in the center using LATCH, by using the 2 inner LATCH anchors from the outboard seats), Honda said no, NOT to use the outboard LATCH anchors for a center install.

I would be very surprised (but hey, its happened) if Honda allowed it on one model and not others -- they seem to be pretty consistent through their product line, KWIM?

I would guess that the reason they have the 3 top tethers is that they configure the Pilot the same for the US and Canada. In Canada, top tethers are mandatory for FFg installs, so it makes sense that they would have that number of top tethers.

If I wanted a center install, I would use the seat belt. If the child restraint was FFg, I would also use the top tether along with a seatbelt install.

Melissa

Maya Papaya!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

skipperlou
04-28-2006, 02:49 PM
We have the CRV which also only has outboard LATCH anchors. Our manual says not to use LATCH in the center position. We have our baby's Centre installed with the belt in the center and the booster and CarGo in the outboard positions using LATCH.
HTH!
Lara

mom2lilab
04-28-2006, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the info. I am going to change my snugride from latch (in center using outboard anchors)to belt right now!!