PDA

View Full Version : 4 yo 40 lbs. ds needs new seat ASAP...is marathon a mistake?

qwertyem
04-27-2006, 11:09 AM
Hi
I'm new to posting, but have been reading a lot of these posts & need some advice. My dd is almost 4 & hit the 40lbs. mark. She currently rides in an ultra cargo...she was using the 5 pt harness, but is now at the max for weight. I'm unhappy with it as a booster & would really like to keep her in a 5 pt for at least another year or two.

I had ordered a marthon yesterday, but now think that it was a mistake...I don't think it's going to last her long height-wise. She's 40" tall now. I hear a lot of people saying they outgrow the marathon in height way before weight. She also had reservations on it being "babyish" when she first saw it.

I know there are limited options. I need to fit 3 across a pontiac bonneville...( a pretty wide car, but still limiting in a 3 across situation) My 21 month old ds & a 2 1/2 year old boy ride with me as well all the time...so I don't think a regent would fit with two other seats...has anyone found this to fit in any car with 3 across? I've been told the apex is nearly as wide as the regent. The safeguard is way out of my price rang...any other options or ideas out there? I hate that I would spend all that money on a marathon just to have her too tall for it too soon & have to shell out more money.

I currently have an evenfo triumph, graco ultra cargo, and a graco comfortsport in a 3 across position.

Thanks!!
Eileen

kellyotn
04-27-2006, 12:12 PM
My DD is about 40" too, she's just above the second highest slots of her MA and using the top ones. If it works for now, you DO have younger kids to pass it down to when she does outgrow it....

What about the Safegaurd GO? Its $180 and looks really cool. What are your backseats like, the GO needs a headrest/seatback to support it similar to the Apex.

tjham
04-27-2006, 12:21 PM
If it helps you feel any better, I just bought an Ashley Floral Marathon for my granddaughter and she will be 5 in June! She is 43" and 33 lbs. Her torso height is about 15", so she is just below the second slots from the top. She LOVES it! I also have an 11 month old grandson who it will be passed on to (with new cover, of course, LOL!)

qwertyem
04-27-2006, 12:43 PM
Oh ... I forgot about the Safeguard Go. I did look at it & almost thought it was perfect...BUT it needs to be tethered and I do not have LATCH or tether anchors in either of our cars (both our cars 10 years old.)

I was thinking for the price I paid for the marathon, I could get both a Safe Voyage for my car (where I need 3 across) and possbily an apex for dh's car (we never have the visiting child with us in his car... so only need two across the back there.) But the safe voyage only goes to 55lbs. So I guess I'm trying to decide whether she'll hit the height limits too soon to make it worth the extra $$ for the marathon to go to 65lbs. I'd even just spend a little more for a regent if there was any way it would fit with the other 2 seats because I know it would last a good long time.

It's just frustrating that every seat for over 40 lbs. seems to have limitations, so I'm just trying to get the most out of it...I realize I can pass whatever I buy down to my son, but I am hoping to keep dd harnessed as long as possible & don't want to have to buy her another seat till she moves to a booster (hopefully not till age 6+)

Thanks!

o_mom
04-27-2006, 12:47 PM
What kind of car do you have? Most cars made in the last 15 years or so can have tether anchors installed. They have been required in Canada for a long time and so most manufacturers have the car ready to install anchors. In our Subaru and Honda it was a easy as ordering a $10 part and screwing it in. If you post FAO Julie (joolsplus2) or one of the techs they can look up the exact part number for you and even tell you if the dealer will install it for free.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-27-2006, 12:49 PM
well, the triumph will have to go to fit a Husky in there, cause it's so wide, and one of your other kids could easily fit in it if your oldest doesn't have enough room to grow.

do you have top tethers? I think you should be able to fit the Regent with the Marathon and the ultra cargo.

kellyotn
04-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I'd look into installing the top tether regardless of what seat you chose. Its always a good idea. :)

It is maddening, I understand! I've been playing the "what seat for DH's truck" for months. ;)

The GO doesn't require lower anchors, just the top tether. If you dig through their site enough (use the car compatibility drop downs) it say it can be used harnessed by using seatbelts if you don't have LATCH. Their site says its top measurement is similar to an MA though, but I've seen talk that it is actually higher.

Does anyone know if the Radian would work in that car? It is taller than an MA, but given how iffy it installs FF w/ a seat belt I'd want to know if it works before ordering.

Joolsplus2
04-27-2006, 01:44 PM
I think you'll get a couple years' use out of it...plenty of kids make it to age 6 or more :). The Sunshine Kids Radian is very narrow and has even taller top slots, if you want to replace the Triumph with something narrower, it might work great.

Yes! I can probably give you part numbers for top tethers in your car, just post back :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

mama2ella
04-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Julie--

sorry to hijack this post from the op'er but can you look up the part #'s for my dh's car?

It is a 1999 4 door Honda Civic

Thanks!

Leslie mama to Ella(11-22-02)& baby boy (edd 7-20-06)

Joolsplus2
04-27-2006, 02:19 PM
Sure enough...it's called a "Plate Assembly" and it's 82410-SE3-CO1 and it *should* be those little round plastic caps in the back under the rear window that just pop out and you screw the part in, so you can do it yourself if they want to charge you more than about $13 the part would cost (DO ask for instructions, ideally it needs to be done with a torque wrench).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

qwertyem
04-28-2006, 06:40 AM
Hi
Just got back to read all these great replies....
I would definately like to get the rear tether anchors installed.

I think I'll probably hold on to the marathon & see how it does for a while. I can always move ds into later & maybe upgrade to "something else" like a regent if she outgrows the top slots too fast. I still need something for dh's car, but probably not until fall b/c he's leaving the country alot this summer & she won't really be in his car. So I might get something with taller harness slots for his car to have a longer life with dd... maybe I can save up for the regent!

Julie or another tech...
can you look up the part #'s for rear tether for my car & dh's car?
They are a 1996 4 door Pontiac Bonneville and a 1995 2 door Pontiac Grand Prix

Thanks so much!!

Eileen