PDA

View Full Version : Britax help

teetee
04-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to decide which car seat to buy next. I have a 2.5 year old(DS) in a RA and a 6 month old(DD) in a snugride. I had originally planned on buying a MA for DS and putting DD in the RA when she grows out of the snugride. Is this still a good plan? I've lurked around a bit and read a few things about the Boulevard and Decathalon but I don't know that much about them. Are they signifacantly safer then the MA and RA? Should I leave DS in RA and get DD one of these new Britax seats? I'm willing to spend the money for whatever the safest option is but if there really isn't a difference, money is on the tighter side.

I'm new here and you ladies sure are knowledgeable. Thank you so much for your help!! I wish I could do more research on this subject (I actually find this very interesting!) but DD has some health issues and I spend most of my time researching her problems.

Oh, DS is about 30 lbs. and average height and DD is about 14 lbs and on the shorter side. Both seem to grow very slowly!

Thanks!
Kristin

momtoB
04-27-2006, 06:21 PM
Hi, this is jmho, but I think your original plan of buying a new seat for your ds and passing the RA down to your dd is a good one.

I believe the MA/DC/BV are all great seats. The DC has extra infant inserts and an adjustable crotch piece which prbly won't make a bit of difference for your dd. I understand the farthest slot out is the same as the MA's. The other added benefit of the DC is the infant body pillows and the harness adjuster is the push button type (like on the RA) instead of the little metal tab you pull up on. If you were looking to buy for a newborn the DC might be a good choice but I don't think the added features are as big a deal for an older baby. The BV has the added feature of TSIP (true side impact protection) and infinitely adjustable harness straps that you never have to rethread. This is the seat my ds has in Park Ave. fabric and I really like it. The TSIP is an extra safety feature and is worth paying extra for, IMO, if you'll be using the seat f/fing in the outboard position. If it's just too expensive though, you might also look into the Recaro Young Sport combo seat, which harnesses to 40lbs and then converts to a bpb. This should get your ds to at least age 4 in the harness and then he'd have a really awesome booster seat. It also has great side impact protection wings. I think they run about the same as an MA -around $250. If you really want the BV though, check around sometimes there are deals. I got my Park Ave one for about $235 a few months ago when BRU was running a special on it.

hth and best of luck with your decision!

Cheryl
ds-4/21/03

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
04-28-2006, 04:17 PM
I would get the Marathon or the Boulevard and do what you planned.

Kat