PDA

View Full Version : Adding Anchor Tethers to 1994 Suburban

mrshalco
04-27-2006, 09:32 PM
I recently found out that for a '94 Suburban the anchors that I can get installed are for the 3rd row seat! We never have the 3rd row even installed (because we don't NEED it yet!), so I'm wondering what we can do (besides putting the third row back in and having DS way way back there).

So I have a couple of questions about my situation.....

1 - Can I put the car seat in the 2nd row and still use the tether spot that is supposed to be for the 3rd row?
2 - Can I have a mechanic friend add a reinforced plate under the bench of the second row and add an anchor there?
3 - Are there any other options?!

Any help is appreciated!!

Colleen
Mom to Logan

Joolsplus2
04-28-2006, 11:42 AM
GM is just not very forthcoming with their information, so the very best I can give you is "Technical Service Bulletin no. 99-09-40-004" which states you can get one set of free hardware installed in your car.
But yes, I think you can reach the tether back to the third row spots (closer is better, but lots of cars have that kind of setup with the anchor waaaaay in the back). And if you are comfortable rigging up an anchor spot like that, I won't say it's 'allowed', but I would hesitate to bash it as unsafe without seeing it (there are instructions for adding generic top tethers to old cars in my LATCH manual, so it's not uncharted territory...).

I wish I could just give you the part number and installation instructions and call it a day! :P.

Good luck!
:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx