PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use Pac Back in airport (car seat back pack)

AddiesMom
04-30-2006, 06:01 AM
Just flew with DD and Cosco Scerena and found it to be difficult to carry everything through the airport. I am flying alone again during the summmer and I am looking at the "Pac Back" car seat back pack carrier (at One Step Ahead). Has anyone ever used this? Is it worth the $40? Any better alternatives?

TIA!

Joolsplus2
04-30-2006, 10:48 AM
what 'carrying system' did you use this time? which stroller, sling, bjorn, diaperbag...? there may be cheaper ways to maximize your ease-of-airporting (though i think that thingie looks cool, anyway, lol)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

shilo
04-30-2006, 02:09 PM
gogo kidz website says they are coming out with a model for seats other than the britaxes later this year. if that interests you, might be worth shooting them an email to find out which seats they're supporting and when it will be available.

lori

Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

catfeet
05-01-2006, 08:03 AM
You could get a stroller with a napper bar and hook put the Scenera into it. It hooks in nicely and then you don't have to be mommy-pack-horse.

HTH,
Ann

Lmoor
05-01-2006, 09:38 AM
We have the Pac Back, and it's been really helpful in the airport, both by myself, and with DH. I've used it by myself, with a Roundabout, had DD (under 2)in the stroller, and had a diaper bag and personal bag for myself. I think it was worth the $40, because I'm not sure how I would have carried the car seat otherwise!!!

strikeeaglebaby
05-02-2006, 11:02 AM
I just ordered a Pac Back to use with my Britax MA. I took the carseat out of my car to give it a test run (we fly out next Wednesday). Well, it was NOT for me. I am 5'2" and I had carseat down to my knees! I could not get the Pac Back to adjust small enough to fit me. I adjusted the hip belt as tight as it would go, and it still hung off me. My husband is in the Air Force and I walked outside and my neighbors (we live really close to each other)got the best laugh! Apparently, not only did I feel like a sherpa, I looked like one too!

If you are taller or larger (I am a light-weight!) then this might work for you. My husband is 6'2" and I am sure it would work perfectly for him, but most often I travel by myself so I really didn't care if it fit him or not!

I actually tried putting my MA in the stroller (P3) and it fit perfectly. I am thinking I might use this method and just bungee cord the carseat around the back of the stroller, using the bars the LATCH is attached to just to get through the airport. It's not ideal, and I certainly wouldn't go outside like this, but I think it will be okay for the airport.

For our next flight, in June, I am thinking of trying the GoGo Kidz. The reviews look pretty good, so I think it might be a good option.

Hope this helps!
Amy

Lmoor
05-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Really? I'm 5'4", and it works just fine for me. We travel w/ the Roundabout though, so perhaps that's the difference. You can also try adjusting the straps that hook around vertically though. That happened to me the first time I put it on, but I found that if you shorten up the bottom strap and lengthen the top one (or maybe it was vice versa), it pulled the carseat farther up my back.

strikeeaglebaby
05-02-2006, 03:33 PM
Well...I am 5'2" on a good day :-) so... On the MA both of the straps on the Pac Back were almost fully extended. I agree that making the top strap longer and the bottom strap shorter would help, but it just felt HUGE on me (I think I was having flashbacks to a Europe backpacking adventure)! Also, once I discovered that the MA would fit in my P3, I was less driven to make the Pac Back work. I figured if I just put the carseat in the stroller then I have one less thing to keep up with!

All that being said, after I get back from this trip, I might rethink my decision!

momtoB
05-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Here's another alternative:

"My Car seat/Luggage Roller combo - photos"
http://bbs.babycenter.com/board/baby/babysafety/9421/thread/2913982?i=0#go

Of course then you have to figure out what you're going to do with the stroller! ;)

betsydenny
05-04-2006, 08:05 AM
Not sure if you are also travelling with a stroller but I have found that our Cosco Touriva (same as Scenara I think) and the Roundabout fit perfectly into our Maclarens (both Vogue and Volo). I put the seat in the stroller and then use the tether to attach it to the stroller and put the kid in the carseat. Then I carry a backpack for all the stuff I need on the plane. It has worked beautifully for us.

To get on the plane I just detach the carseat from the stroller, gate check the stroller and carry the carseat- kid and all usually- tho 30 lbs is getting heavy... onto the plane.

I have done this a number of times now and it works great.
HTH
Betsy

DebbieJ
05-04-2006, 08:34 AM
I do what Amy does. Put the car seat in the stroller and then either put ds in the car seat or carry him in a sling.

Packing lightly for the plane ride helps immensely.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Carlasmom
05-04-2006, 09:38 AM
I ordered this
http://www.travelingtoddler.com/
and plan to use it with our Cosco Scenera when we fly to Europe this month. DD goes in her Patapum carrier
www.Patpum.com
so she is safe and close to me.

niccig
05-04-2006, 02:02 PM
You'll have to let us know how this works. It could work for us.