PDA

View Full Version : Britax Roundabout in Subaru Outback - Need Some Help!

angellsmurf
04-30-2006, 08:33 PM
We're trying to install a Britax Roundabout in a 2003 Subaru Outback wagon - in the middle position. Something doesn't seem right though. When it's in the middle, we seem to only have 2 options for using the Versa Tether: 1 - hooking it to the tether location in far rear roof of the car, which to me seems like it would impair getting him in and out of the car seat, or 2 - hooking it to the little bar right behind where the back of your heal would be if you were sitting in the outboard position, which seems like using the tether at an angle might cause problems.

Isn't using the Versa Tether safer than not?

Would it be safer to have the car seat in the middle with the Versa Tether pulling down at an angle - or would it be safer to have the car seat in the outboard position with the Versa Tether pulling straight down?

Also, does anyone know if the lap/shoulder belt or latch installation is safer with the Roundabout?

Thanks in advance!!!

ellies mom
05-01-2006, 04:49 AM
I installed our seat in the outboard position so I really can't answer your question about the angle thing. I did want to mention that if you are going to use the little bar near where your heel would be that you shouldn't clip it directly to the bar. Use the loopy thing to connect to the bar and then clip to that. I clipped it straight to the bar and it was a huge incredibly nasty struggle to unclip it later. The latch installation isn't necessarily safer than the latch/seatbelt installation, but it may be easier to get a safe installation with the latch system. Since DD's seat is in the outboard position we went with the latch installation.

Joolsplus2
05-01-2006, 07:00 AM
Yeah, use your Tether Connector Strap (page 25 of the manual, last I checked) and tie it down to the floor area, Swedish Style...it'll be a little sideways tippy, but it's not a big deal at all for a little tilt like that (you don't need to pull the top tether tight-tight, just remove the slack so it's not floppy-loose).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

CPSDarren
05-01-2006, 08:12 AM
If your 2003 Outback is the same as our 2000 Outback wagon, you can also check out my photos for an anchor spot:

http://www.pbase.com/carseat/outback

Darren
www.seatcheck.net

angellsmurf
05-01-2006, 08:23 AM
Great - thanks for the link! I'll let you know what we find!