PDA

View Full Version : Bad Mother of the Year Award....

DeeEast
04-30-2006, 09:24 PM
goes to me and bad father of the year to DH.

We just got back from Harrisburg, which is a 3 to 3.5 hour trip from here, mostly on the PA Turnpike. Before we left, we ate at Fuddruckers and I had DD out of her infant car seat for a few minutes holding her.

So we pull into the garage and I go back to get the kids and see Diana is COMPLETELY unhooked from her carseat and in fact is practically sliding out of the seat itself at this point. I had never buckled her back in at Fuddruckers because I figured I would be getting her out again but she fell asleep. When I went to the bathroom before we left, DH just picked both babies up in their carseats and carried them out to the car and didn't check/notice that she wasn't buckled in AT ALL.

Plus DS's straps were completely loose. I figure that's because I put him in there before we left for Fuddruckers while we were packing just for a place for him to sleep, figuring that I would tighten him up when we left. Once again, DH picked him up and carried him to the car without checking his straps. It never occurred to me to check them either, so I'm not just blaming him.

OM MY GOD!

tjham
04-30-2006, 11:28 PM
(Shivering with goose bumps for you...)

Thank goodness, nothing happened! I think a lot of people have done this. Just take it as a lesson well learned!

new_mommy25
05-01-2006, 12:15 AM
I remember once when DS was an infant I visited my dad and only had the Snugride, no base. I got home from dinner one night and realized that I had not strapped the carseat in. It was just sitting on the seat. I was so horrified and sick to my stomach just thinking about what could have happened. I felt awful.

Big hugs to you mama. These things happened. I'm glad the twins are okay.

Joolsplus2
05-01-2006, 07:11 AM
((((HUGS))))
It's awful, isn't it? I've done it once or twice...there's nothing like hearing a little voice on the freeway, "Mama, you forgot to buckle my sister in...."

Glad everything turned out ok, though :) (not bad mother of the year award, that goes to Britney Spears, rofl!)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

amp
05-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Nope, not worst parents. Just human ones. The worst ones are the ones mentioned in a few other threads here that don't even bother to strap them in right even when they know better! You just made a human error, and one that I think many of us, myself included, have made. Thank goodness we get home safe and that we remember 99.9% of the time!

gatorsmom
05-01-2006, 10:02 AM
You're not a bad mother, just a human one. We've all done it. What makes a mother bad is when she does this sort of thing and just shrugs and says, "OOPs, I forgot again. I'm sure everyone does. No point beating myself up about it." That's the type of mom who makes the mistake so often it's becoming a joke. YOU, on the other hand, have probably forgotten maybe once or twice because you are so hard on yourself that you won't LET yourself live it down!!! Shame isn't always a bad thing- sometimes it's very productive! (feel better?)

mom2acrew
05-01-2006, 10:10 AM
Good golly traveling w/ 3 littles ones is so tough to begin with, Hugs just for surviving the trip. I am sure it is one of those lessons learned for you and you'll never do it again :)

Don't be too hard on yourself, like Julie said Britney takes the cake.

Piglet
05-01-2006, 10:58 AM
I had a similar experience when I went in a friend's car without the base. I remembered buckling ONE thing up, but forgot I needed to buckle TWO things up - the baby and the carseat. I don't remember which it was, but one fo them was not buckled in. I felt horrible!

Then again, yesterday I saw a woman sitting in the back seat of a moving car with a baby in her arms, a FF car seat next to her and the baby must have been about 10 months old or so (or at least very petite).