PDA

View Full Version : car seat saftey advive Please help

kosmo
05-01-2006, 10:46 AM
My MIL has purchased a car seat for her 2 grandsons ages 1 (23lbs) and 2 (about 21 lbs). My fear is she bought something that is not the safest or suted for the kids. From what she is telling me it is a safety first seat for the weight of 22-100lbs. She paid around $100 for it. My reasearch has lead me to believe it is more of a booster and I feel safer with my son in his Britax Wizard. My son's safety comes first. My husband tried to tell he in a polite way the we will still use the Wizard, but she insist on using the crap seat that my SIL had her purchase.
P.S. I don't think my nephew is even 22 lbs yet. Adopted from Russia and is very small.
Am I off base please give me feed back
Stacey:7

Neatfreak
05-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Is it the Safety 1st Intera?

kosmo
05-01-2006, 10:52 AM
I'm sorry I don't know the name of it I have not even seen it. All I know is the weights and the price paid.

kosmo
05-01-2006, 11:01 AM
I think I shoud also that my SIL is proud of the fact that she has an Eddie Bauer Car Seat. Clueless

Joolsplus2
05-01-2006, 11:21 AM
It's probably a Summit or one of the other plain cosco 'high back boosters' with an EB label on it. They aren't dangerous, per se...they don't rearface and they have REALLY low top slots (kids are too tall for them about age 3, maybe older if it's a teeny kid). It's no Wizard, but it's harder to use properly (that's the key idea...it's not the seat, it's how well it's used, that often dictates the safety in a crash).

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

kosmo
05-01-2006, 12:02 PM
No this one is not an EB it is Safety 1st my SIL has ans EB
But my question is my child ready for a booster?

Joolsplus2
05-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Oh sorry, duh! Since it's harnessed, it's fine (with those weight limits you listed, it would work from 22-40 pounds with the harness--shoulders at or below the top slots), and 30-80 as a booster, so it's fine if used properly.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

kosmo
05-01-2006, 12:48 PM
thanks I just wished she would have asked for some advice before buying something

niccig
05-01-2006, 01:18 PM
After you see the seat, how it's installed and how they use it, you can then decide if you want to use it for your son. If you still prefer your wizard, you'll have to stand your ground, even if it means DS doesn't ride in their car. Also, if your DS is still rearfacing and DN isn't, you could tell her to install the sear FF for DN, and then you'll put the wizard in RF when needed. You'll probably have the whole RF debate, but again, he's your son so you decide on safety not the grandparents. My MIL drives my neice more often, so her seat is FF and we install our seat when needed - it also means she can have both kids in the car at the same time.

After a few carseat discussions, both sets of grandparents defer to us. All the conversations were polite, but I've always explained how DS will ride in the car as it's not their decision to make.

Nicci

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
05-02-2006, 03:56 AM
I totally agree... try it out, show her that you're being fair... but put your foot down if needed.

And, if you can, weigh that dear little dn of yours... maybe show your sil some info on rearfacing safety?

she went to all thet rouble of adopting him from Russia, she should keep him as safe as can be, as he is the special baby who was not carried under her heart, but in it.