PDA

View Full Version : Harnessed booster for Airplane travel/extra seat for very occasional use?

emmasmama
05-01-2006, 08:03 PM
We are traveling cross-country in June and I'm wondering if it would be easier to take a booster with a 5-pt harness (like the Britax Parkway) for my large/tall 3 yo instead of the Marathon? If I understand correctly, this booster is pretty easy to install once we get to our destination? My 3 yo is 38 lbs and 39" tall. My concern over installation is that my parents will be the ones installing the seat and I'm a little concerned they won't be able to do the Marathon correctly since they've never installed it before?

I thought if I did the booster with harness it would also provide an extra seat for my husband's car for (very) occasional use and I'd have something for the next stage when she's bigger ready to go.

Any advice? I want to do what's safest, but also am looking for convenience and what will end up being safest in my parents' hands ;)

TIA,
Laurie

ppshah
05-01-2006, 08:18 PM
I'm a little confused-what did you mean by "booster with harness"?. The Parkway is a booster-it does not harness. Since DD is almost 40 lbs it doesn't give you that many option on keeping her harnessed.

I would just take the Marathon. Maybe someone your parents knows that's familiar installing carseats can help them?

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
05-02-2006, 03:51 AM
I agree... I'd just take the marathon.

Kat

emmasmama
05-02-2006, 10:34 AM
Oh, I think I was confused and thought the Parkway had a 5-pt restraint... I'm thinking of the seats that look like boosters with backs but have the restraint. Sort of a cross between a tall booster and a carseat. But maybe that's just repeating what I already have with the Marathon. I was just thinking I might be able to get something lighter to take around the airport that would have the added bonus of being very easy to install. I'm just very confused by the options.

My parents will be installing the seat in the parking lot at the airport and then driving 1 1/2 hrs back to their house. This is why I'm a little worried about them. Maybe my husband and I should just take the Marathon and go to their car with them and make sure everything gets installed correctly.

Unless someone else has a better idea?

Thanks!

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
05-02-2006, 10:47 AM
the marathon is no a harnessed booster... it can only be used with the harnesses.

I think your best bet is just to take the Marathon.

niccig
05-02-2006, 01:30 PM
If you can, I would install the seat yourself. You're experienced with your seat and can probably do it in 10 mins or less. Your parents on the other hand, will have to look through the manual, figure out which part is what, and then install it.

If you do it, you'll know it's in properly, and you can then show them how to do up the harness.

When I visited my parents with DS for the first time, my father was getting very anxious about the carseat and told me he wasn't sure if he could install it properly. I told him there was no "he" involved, that DH or I do the installs. There was an audible sigh of relief over the phone - many grandparents are freaked out by carseats. So do it yourself, and later when you have time you can show them how.

jesseandgrace
05-02-2006, 09:35 PM
You should also keep in mind that airlines will not allow the use of regular booster seats.

emmasmama
05-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Well that clinches it! Interesting, thanks for the info!