PDA

View Full Version : Height ? on Marathon, and life expectancy ? for seats in general...

tarheelmom
05-02-2006, 06:51 AM
I know these are basic questions and I did a search through the archives with no luck.

First of all, when has a child outgrown the Marathon height wise?? I seem to remember it is when his ears are over the top edge of the seat, is that right?? This is concerning my tall 4 year old.

Second, how long is the life of a car seat??? Did I read 6 years??? That seems a little crazy since plastic clearly can hold up fine for over 6 years!!

Thanks for any answers! :)
Carmen
Mom to Ryan 8/07/01
and Seth 10/10/03
and Amelia 7/08/05

o_mom
05-02-2006, 07:27 AM
You are right on the height part.

For the plastic, yes, plastic kept inside at normal temps and humidity can last a long time. However, you are talking about a seat that is sitting in extreme heat in the summer, cold in the winter, UV rays out the wazoo, and in general very extreme conditions. Then you are asking that plastic to withstand very high forces in a crash and not break or deform. Not a great idea. Having seen what sitting outside for a couple years can do to a Little Tikes plastic playhouse, I would not try to second guess the manufacturers.

Also, safety standards change, owner's manuals lost, manufacturers run out of spare parts, etc., so six years makes sure that you aren't using Aunt Suzie's seat from 10 years ago that has a T-shield and lost the cover.

Momof3Labs
05-02-2006, 08:45 AM
Just to clarify, it's when the tips of his ears reach the top of the seat shell that he's outgrown the Marathon. Or, when his shoulders pass the top slots.

And yes, 6 years. The PP explained it pretty well!