PDA

View Full Version : Ack! Did I kill my Marathon?

babymama
05-02-2006, 01:56 PM
The long strap on my DS's Marathon got caught in my rear wheel today. It pulled the Marathon out of it's position, but I can't tell if it's broken. How would I be able to tell? I feel so distraught. To my untrained eye, it looks like all that happened was the strap got frayed. What signs should I look for?

I couldn't understand why my car was bucking and why the seat kept making a loud popping noise (almost like a crack). First time, my car bucked and the wheels screeched - for a moment I thought someone hit me from behind (I feel whiplash symptoms), but then realized that I would have heard a crash, then I thought I was driving with my parking brake on - but the parking brake checked out ok, so I assumed that maybe I hit a pothole or something. So I proceeded on down the road and then I heard the popping again (this time I was able to figure out that it was the car seat popping). Then I tried to accelerate from a dead stop and the car bucked forward again. So I got out of my car to see what was up. The strap was caught up in the wheel. I eventually got it unstuck by reversing and going forward a number of times.

So tell me. Did I kill my Marathon?

ETA: DD was not in the seat at the time. Thank God! I was in the car alone.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, my 2 yr old monster
and new baby girl, Solana, born 12/26/05
I'll figure out how to update my avatar someday!

Splash
05-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Um... I don't really understand what happened by your description. Was it the tether strap? Because wow... it would have to be REALLY long.

Honestly... I wouldn't use the seat again. Especially if the car is lurching and the seat is popping... I just wouldn't do it.

babymama
05-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Sorry I was unclear. I'm still kinda freaked out.

The seat is rearfacing. It's some long strap. It don't think it's the tether strap bc I think the tether strap is anchored underneath the front passangers seat.

This is the long strap that is supposed to be stuffed into that pouch behind the Marathon seat. Or at least it's stuffed into the pouch on the other Marathon we have.

It wasn't stuffed in the pouch and it was left hanging out of the car door - which led to the episode I described.

Lydia

o_mom
05-02-2006, 03:22 PM
The pouch at the top of the seat? That would be the tether.

Is the pouch under the "arm" of the seat? That is the LATCH connector, but I have a hard time seeing how that would be long enough to reach out the door all the way to a wheel.

I would call Britax CS ASAP and explain to them exactly which strap and what happened.

Splash
05-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Okay, so it's the overhang from tightening the tether? That is quite a long piece.

I don't know. Seems to me all it would do was tighten the tether immensely with that pull. As long as the seat didn't crack or anything, it's probably okay. But... well, I don't know. I might continue to use it RF but not FF.

Definitely call Britax and explain the situation.

kellyotn
05-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Wow, I'd definitely call Britax. The popping sounds are particularly troubling, and that you actually feel whiplash symptoms...... It must have been a LOT of force on the seat in a way that is completely untested and unknown, I wouldn't feel good about it. :( Sorry.

Joolsplus2
05-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Oh yeah, that top extra tether strap is loooooong... I'd definitely call Britax...this might be the sort of incident that effects a change (like, say, giving a velcro strap instead of a rubber band to hold that thing up...)

Sorry that happened...definitely a one in a million, I'm just sorry it's you!

1-888-4BRITAX
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

strikeeaglebaby
05-02-2006, 08:06 PM
I am so sorry this happened to you. I would definitely do as PP mentioned and call Britax. As I was re-installing my carseat yesterday I thought to myself, why do you need a tether strap that long?

I know this story wasn't meant to be funny, but it has to be the funniest thing I have read in a long time! I was crying because I was laughing so hard! I even had to pull this post back up and show it to my husband. I think it's so funny because I can see myself doing the same thing!

I hope Britax CS is able to help you out.

Thanks for the laugh!

HannaAddict
05-03-2006, 02:02 AM
You are not alone!! That super long strap didn't actually get stuck, but was caught under the wheel and trying to get stuck. This happened just last week after my husband put my son in the carseat and we dropped him off at his office (not our normal routine). I had checked my son's harness and was in the driver's seat and all looked fine. We left and after about a mile, on a side street, the there was a sound like something sliding around in the back of our Trooper, like a big box. There was a loud noise too. There was nothing in the road, we were going slowly and I was p.o.'ed that my husband must have left a box of bottled water or something heavy in the back unsecured. Kept driving, and a bit later there was a slight bucking and my son started giggling and laughing and I think the seat was smacked into by the box. I pulled over and got out and as I was going around the car to the back, to secure whatever crap my husband had left unsecured, a couple rushed up to me to tell me about what they thought was the seatbelt. Went around to passenger side, and the super long strap (is it the tether, we use the tether?) was hanging out of the door!!!!! I was pretty mad at the design of the carseat and at my husband for failing to notice several feet of canvas hanging out the door!! I checked the install, my son, and was totally amazed. The strap had been run over by the rear tires, hence the bucking, but luckily not wrapped around the axle and thrown my child out. I called my husband and he got an earful.

I will contact Britax tomorrow too. I am amazed that this happened to someone else, and literally about a week after it happened. I don't know why I didn't think to post about it as a warning.

Kimberly

Joolsplus2
05-03-2006, 06:50 AM
Ironically... people complain more about tethers being too short on other seats (like in big vans and stuff)...poor Britax can't win.
Your seat is rearfacing? yeah, you should be using it (and forward facing...britaxes get used all the time).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

babymama
05-04-2006, 09:37 AM
So I called today to report the incident to Britax.

The rep reassured me that the seat was still safe, and then offered to send me a new tether strap for free bc my seat is still under warranty.

So I told her that I would like for her to document the incident, so that they might take it into account in future product design (thanks, Joolsplus!!!). She took down more details of the incident and asked me more questions.

So then, I thought that was it.

An hour later they called back and spoke to my DH. He called me to tell me that they called to say they would be sending a whole new seat free of charge. They want us to send the damaged seat to them (they're picking up shipping costs).

That's great customer service.

Thanks to everyone here for encouraging me to call! I am truly pleased with Britax CS.

Lydia

babymama
05-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Did you call them? See my update. they're sending me a new seat. Maybe they can do the same for you?

Lydia

babymama
05-04-2006, 09:41 AM
Thanks for your post. It helped me look at the incident in a new way. Now that a couple of days have passed, I can laugh about it too. I'm glad I was able to describe it so vividly that it gave you a good laugh.

Lydia

babymama
05-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Thanks, Julie!!!

I have so much respect for your expertise. Thanks for the suggestion. Did you see my update? Great news!

Lydia

Splash
05-04-2006, 10:16 AM
I had thought they might do that. They want to see the damage to it.
Great news!

kellyotn
05-04-2006, 10:27 AM
That is great. I think its awesome that they want to check out the damage. (And, of course, that you're getting a new seat!)

niccig
05-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Way to go Britax! What a relief for you to know that DS will be in a non-damaged seat.