PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any new info on the Graco Safe Seat Convertable?

Jacksmommy2b
05-03-2006, 08:08 AM
I have only seen the infant seat IRL but in a magazine ad the safe seat convertable caught my attention. Has anyone heard anything about them? Are they even out yet?

TIA

Dena

Splash
05-03-2006, 08:34 AM
Unfortunately, there is no such seat.

The Graco SafeSeat 2 is a FF only seat, 20-40 lbs.

It is amazing. I really like it. Super easy to install, deep EPS lined sides, high top slots, able to recline while installed, very padded.

However, it's just not worth the money. The seat is $120 at least. Considering that a child should still be RF until at least 30 lbs, even more with Britax and Dorel seats, you're not getting that much life out of this seat. It cannot be used as a booster, and it cannot be used RF. So if you leave your child RF until 30 lbs, you only get 10 lbs out of this seat. There are other options out there with much more use that are just as nice and are cheaper.

If it was a convertible seat, I would whole heartedly recommend it. It's a GREAT seat.

Now, if your child is already FF, and you KNOW you do not want to harness longer than 40 lbs, and you want a dedicated booster after this, then this seat is a good buy. Still expensive, but a NICE seat for that money. If your child is on the small side and might make it to 5 years old before hitting 40 lbs, then you could get this seat and then a nice dedicated booster afterwards. Or if you will have another child to pass it down to.

Quality, ease of installation, comfort... this seat is 5 stars. Longevity and value are where it takes a hit. Although if you buy a SafeSeat 1 and RF to the limits of that (probably about 18 months for most kids) and then want your child FF, you will definitely get to 40 lbs with this seat for all but the tallest children. I *do* see the SafeSeat line taking kids the distance with only 3 seats. Of course, that 'distance' is not extended RF or harnessing past 40 lbs. But by the laws and standards of today, these three seats will do it for you easily and safely.

Joolsplus2
05-03-2006, 01:49 PM
It's *really* nice... and *really* expensive and *really* bulky and huge...but *really nice*, lol. I think it's a great seat for kids about age 2.5 up to about age 5-6, if they are petite (my dd would have fit in it till a full 40 pounds at age 6).
I keep forgetting to recommend it, actually...it's a better alternative for tall-but-light kids than the "combo" seats like the Cargo or Evenflo Generations.
Oh, and it's a huge pain to switch the harness up and down, since the back of the harness is hidden under the bottom part of the seat so that it can have that cool recline feature.

This is almost exactly the same as the old Maxi Cosi Priori...which was only on the market for about a year, because it, too was limited by the 20-40 pound weight limit and a fat price tag...too bad the harness isn't useful to a higher weight....
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx