PDA

View Full Version : question about my kids carseats

lotsolove
05-03-2006, 12:32 PM
dd is 21 months, 24 lbs and 32and 1/4 tall, i recently turned her ff because of her height. she is in a triumph. am i correct about the height? i would love to turn her back around even though she is lovin the ff.

also ds is 4.5, 38 lbs and 43.5 inches tall, his booster is a safety 1st brand and he is still in 5 pt harness. i dont want to use it as a belt positioning booster when he hits 40 lbs so i need to know what booster i can use as 5 pt harness for his height?
tia
teresa

Joolsplus2
05-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Yeah, the Triumph is about the shortest-shelled convertible, and kids just can't get very tall RF in it... The Cosco Scenera or Alpha Sport is very tall for RF, as are the Britax Marathon/Bouleavard/ Decathlon.
For taller slots for your older kiddo, the Alpha Elite (or Apex...same seat, several names) is a good choice, and harnesses to 65 pounds with tall top slots...also makes a great booster. Or the Britax Marathon(etc) or the Britax Regent or the Sunshine Kids Radian, or the www.safeguardseat.com is great (kind of expensive, but very nice...).

Since he's so close to 40 pounds, I'm not sure I'd look at the Graco or Evenflo Combo seats...they are taller than the Safety First, but only harness to 40 pounds and don't make really great boosters down the road.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

lotsolove
05-08-2006, 02:32 AM
dd has at least 2 inches left before her head reaches the top of her triumph and is only on the middle set for the straps( top ones are way over her ears, can she be rear facing even though technically she is almost too tall for rear facing?

Naomi S
05-12-2006, 11:32 PM
I used the Triumph seats for my kids, and thought I was doing EVERYTHING right, until they outgrew them. Then I took another peek at the manual and discovered that the TOP SLOTS are the only ones you are supposed to use Front-Facing. The lower slots are not reinforced for front-facing.

So if you continue to have your daughter front-facing, please consider moving the harness to the top slots.

HTH,

Naomi S
I used the Triumph seats for my kids, and thought I was doing EVERYTHING right, until they outgrew them. Then I took another peek at the manual and discovered that the TOP SLOTS are the only ones you are supposed to use Front-Facing. The lower slots are not reinforced for front-facing.

So if you continue to have your daughter front-facing, please consider moving the harness to the top slots.

HTH,

Naomi S

HTH,

kellyotn
05-13-2006, 07:54 AM
Oh WOW. Good catch. Yes, you cannot use the Triumph FF in the 2nd slots!! Is the original poster still reading this?!!

Joolsplus2
05-13-2006, 11:53 AM
Actually, you can, they are all reinforced, since it's the metal reinforcement bar that moves with the harness <flipping noise as I search for proof....> <bing> found it!

"It is true that the harness mechanism and support structure is the same in
every position on the track. We do not permit use of the lowest position
forward facing because we do not believe that shoulder belt height to be
suitable for the size children who will be sitting forward facing, at least
those for whom the belts are properly positioned. The lowest setting for
the shoulder belt positioner gives a distance up from the seating surface of
about 8 1/2 to 9 inches, depending on how you measure it. To compare to
other Evenflo products, the Titan convertible restraint has a distance of 10
inches up to the comparable set of shoulder harness slots. At the other
end, the shoulder belt slots on the purely forward facing Express
toddler/booster seat are 12 1/2 inches from the seating surface.

We are going to permit the use of the middle shoulder belt position forward
facing. Instructions to this end are on new units. This is consistent with
our practice on the other convertible restraints.

Randy Kiser
Director, Product Safety, Research & Development
Evenflo Company, Inc.
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

kellyotn
05-13-2006, 12:58 PM
Oh good. My friend's was a bit older, so that blurb explains it. I know when she moved her son FF she read the manual AFTER and realized that it said only the top one could be used FF, so she had to uninstall it and fix it.

lotsolove
05-13-2006, 07:22 PM
my car seat says right on it that the middle position can be used for ff or rf position. top harness strap position is directly above her ears lol
teresa