PDA

View Full Version : JJ Cole Bundle Me or Urban Bundle Me

boss1
05-04-2006, 03:04 PM
I'm considering purchasing the JJ Cole Bundle Me or Urban Bundle Me for my infant's car seat. I'm wondering if you could provide feedback for me about this product? Is it a good buy?

Crystal

jeanum
05-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Although cozy, these types of aftermarket products that fit in between the baby and the carseat and/or in between the baby and the harness are not safe to use. Their bulkiness introduces excess slack in the carseat harness and your baby wouldn't be properly protected in a crash. :( Also, these aftermarket Bundle Me products are not crash tested with infant seats and would void your carseat's warranty.

A safer and recommended option would be a "shower cap" style infant seat cover that has elastic edges and fits over the infant seat but doesn't go between the baby and the seat or harness.

Joolsplus2
05-04-2006, 06:01 PM
I wouldn't use it... not only is the safety suspect, as Jean said, but now that I have my own baby to get in and out of an infant seat daily (a three month old), I don't *want* ANYTHING extra in there...it's already a pain to get that little wobbly baby in and out of the seat and the harness tightened properly without any extra padding to flop around or work with (I have one in her stroller and like it, though). Usually I just buckle her in then tuck a blanket around her if it's cold (and a receiving blanket is terrific at soaking up drool and spitups and is so easy to wash...much better than a bundle me, and also you can 'swaddle' a small blanket to keep her arms in and tight). I have a shower cap style cover and never use it, a blanket is just so much easier (granted, it's not very cold). Now that it's summer (almost), the emptier the seat is, the happier she is.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

AddiesMom
05-05-2006, 07:32 AM
I have a question (playing devil's advocate here). I realize that it is a bad thing to add something like a Bundle Me to a car seat, but how is the Bundle Me any different than putting a winter coat or bunting on the baby? I would think that you can get the straps tighter using a Bundle Me than a heavy winter coat or bunting.

I live in New England where we have really cold winters. I saw more people with infant seats using the Bundle Me than not using them when I was out this winter.

DebbieJ
05-05-2006, 07:47 AM
You shouldn't use a heavy winter coat, either. Just a thin fleece bunting is fine. You don't want anything thick and heavy between the baby and the seat.

You can get a "shower cap" type of cover like Julie suggested. That's what my sister used all winter for her dd and it was great! Or blankets are the easiet!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

jeanum
05-05-2006, 07:53 AM
Like the Bundle Me, a baby shouldn't be buckled into a carseat while wearing a heavy winter coat or thick bunting because they're too thick and can cause way too much slack in the harness. Using a thin fleece jacket or outfit (like a thin fleece sleeper in terms of thickness) would be considered safe, with a blanket over the baby or a shower cap style infant seat cover for added warmth.

Joolsplus2
05-05-2006, 08:32 AM
You're right, a bunting or coat is probably worse than a Bundle me, because the puffy stuff gets between the straps and the baby. It's probably actually cheapest to just buy the Snugride with the boot and blanket that comes with the seat then, if someone insists that just tucking a warm blanket over the baby and harness is just not good enough :) (and a hat, of course that baldy little head does need a hat).

jhrabosk
05-05-2006, 01:50 PM
OK, I'll admit that we were bad and used one. We had the fleecy, shearling-like one. I didn't like the fabric of the Urban. Didn't think it felt cozy.

That said...

We were never outside long enough for it to be really necessary. I don't even have a garage and I still felt that way. If the car was parked too far away or it was really cold, DH would go get it and pull up to the door. Plus, once we were in the car, DD would sweat like crazy in the Bundle Me (even unzipped and rolled back). In addition, during the short time we were outside, I didn't feel as though I could get it tucked around her enough to keep her warm...I felt like it was going to cover her face.

Good bunting and a blanket were much more practical for walks and such and just a warm blanket and hat for getting to the car. We finally had to take it out b/c DD just got too big and we needed the space in the seat!

tg_canada
05-05-2006, 03:01 PM
>Also, these
>aftermarket Bundle Me products are not crash tested with
>infant seats and would void your carseat's warranty.

First of all, I want to say that I agree and would NOT use one of these products. I'd get one of the "shower cap" style as suggested.

But, I did notice on the packing of Bundle Me and on their web site that it states "crash tested- FMVSS 213". But of course they don't state which exact model of seats they have tested it with and neglect to mention that many car seat manuals say never to use products such as these with their seats...

Joolsplus2
05-05-2006, 05:28 PM
There's no such thing as a crash test standard for aftermarket products. So I'm sure it's possible the product did not cause the seat to overrotate or dump the dummy out, they are still just making up marketing chaff by SAYing it meets 213.

littlecindy
02-08-2008, 03:30 PM
i know the hazards of the bundle me in a crash. but honestly, here in MN, when we had negative 34 degree weather a couple weeks ago, i was never more glad to have our bundle me. i figure the hazards of the cold outweigh the hazards of a crash at least for those couple days!

i like our urban BM because it's pretty waterproof. also a plus in MN.

o_mom
02-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Statistically, your child is far, far, liklier to be seriously injured or killed in a car crash than by frostbite. There are many safe ways to keep a baby warm without using untested products that can compromise the safety of the child restraint.

DS3 has been nothing but toasty with just a showercap style cover, even when it was below zero. If it was -34, I would probably pick a thin fleece one piece suit under a showercap cover before a Bundle Me.

HIU8
02-08-2008, 04:27 PM
I have used a thin fleece LL Bean snowsuit (that covers hands and feet) and that is as thick of something that I want in the carseat. I also have a showercap style cover that I cannot use anymore because DD's feet hang over the edge of her SafeSeat (she is really long). I now use a blanket from the disney store (it was given to me) that is very thick and put a hat on DD. She is toasty warm that way.

With DS I did not know not to use a bundle me. Frankly, it was a huge hassle because it took up so much space in the carseat and DS used to sweat in it.

HannaAddict
02-09-2008, 04:40 AM
We used a warm, cozy, adorable pink faux suede with fleece interior Kiddopotamus brand shower cap style cover. I got more compliments and questions about that cover than the baby! It worked great and stayed on the car seat all the time (Keyfit and later Safeseat). It zips up the center to get baby in and out but there is nothing between baby and the straps. It is wonderful and comes in blue, camel and navy too. I highly recommend it. We used a Bundle Me in the stroller though and it worked well for strolling.

Kimberly

DrSally
02-09-2008, 02:06 PM
We have the tan faux suede kiddopotamus and it was great. I, too, got a lot of inquiries about it. You definitely don't need the bundle me to keep warm

babyready
02-09-2008, 06:35 PM
i know the hazards of the bundle me in a crash. but honestly, here in MN, when we had negative 34 degree weather a couple weeks ago, i was never more glad to have our bundle me. i figure the hazards of the cold outweigh the hazards of a crash at least for those couple days!

i like our urban BM because it's pretty waterproof. also a plus in MN.

Seriously! We're in MN too and a thin fleece or blanket just ain't gonna cut it here!

We have a BM that we used with DD when that was the safe alternative to a bunting. Now it is not safe either. Can't seem to win. I honestly loved the thing and if it is still this freezing cold when baby comes (in approx. 3 weeks) we will have to use it again for at least a little while.

pastrygirl
02-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Why is a shower-cap style not a good enough alternative for anyone who wants to use a Bundle Me? They are not hard to find. No one is telling you NOT to use a blanket-type of product... they're just saying not to use a Bundle Me. There are safer products out there if you spend an extra minute.