PDA

View Full Version : Do I *really* need 2 Marathons?

strikeeaglebaby
05-05-2006, 10:32 AM
I have a 14 month old, 25 lbs, 34 inches. I have a MA in my car (Honda Pilot) and we had a ComfortSport in my husbands car (03 Accord 4-door), until recently. I got rid of the ComfortSport because it is soooo hard to install! We bought another MA for his car, but I can't decide if this was the right decision. We drive my husbands car (with all 3 of us) 1-2 times per week.

The bottom line...I need a seat that will last us a while, travels well, very easy to install in both planes and various cars and most importantly, safe! I just don't know if I can justify the $250 for the MA, I know it's worth it, but for a second seat????

Any suggestions? Please Help!

Amy

Joolsplus2
05-05-2006, 11:15 AM
For a second seat that you will be using for 5 more years :). What other baby gear do you buy that lasts that long, really?
You could try the Sunshine Kids Radian, if you have anywhere locally that sells it...it's tricky to install in some cars, but is really not a bad seat.
:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

jeanum
05-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Maybe you could consider a Fisher Price Safe Voyage EX convertible made by Britax as a second seat? It's basically a stripped down Marathon selling for about $180 in brick and mortar Baby Depot/Burlington Coat Factory stores and online, plus some other online baby item vendors carry it if you do a search. It doesn't have the built-in seatbelt lockoffs, rear facing tethering, rubber HUGS, friendlier alligator clip style LATCH clips, or nicer selection of covers like the Marathon, but for a second seat it may be a good option for you. The top harness slots are the same height as the Marathon and it RF up to 33 lbs. and FF up to 55 lbs., less than the Marathon's FF weight limit of 65 lbs. but few kids will get to 65 lbs. before it's outgrown by height anyway.

kellyotn
05-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Unless its a big fiancial hardship, its worth it. For my 3.5 year old, I have a MA in my car. In DH's truck, she outgrew her 40 lb smaller seat at 3. After *much* pondering what to do, I traded her outgrown seat for a Scenera that my sister had for her new baby. The Scenera lasted another 6 months. So, now I'm at a loss all over again. Ugh. If she'd have had two MA's, she'd still be set for another 2-2.5 years or so.

1-2 times a week is a lot of trips over 5-6 years. You'll have two seats you are familiar with. If you need to clean a cover, you have a spare seat (and interchangable covers). If you have another child eventually, that child could use one or both depending on how old the oldest is then.

HTH

strikeeaglebaby
05-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Thanks everyone! I just needed someone else to justify my purchase :-) My husband told me this was the best thing, but I needed other Mom's opinions!

Thanks again! You guys are the best! I am off to install the Cowmooflage in my husbands car...

Amy