PDA

View Full Version : Graco ComfortSport Metropolitan vs Britax Marathon

ChrissyJames
05-06-2006, 03:54 PM
I am considering either the Graco ComfortSport convertible car seat or the Britax Marathon. What makes the Britax worth $150 more? Also, is the Marathon far superior to the Roundabout, cause that one is also quite a bit cheaper. Thanks!

SusanMae
05-06-2006, 04:17 PM
The Comfort Sport is repeatidly outgrown by AVERAGE children when they are 2. Lots of parents then have to go and buy ANOTHER seat--and a decent one at that point is going to be over $100 and possibly over $150

For the Extra $150 you are getting--
A seat that your child is VERY unlikely to outgrow before the age of 5

Twist resistant straps

Little velcro thingys to hold the strap out the way, so you don't have to dig under your baby later

Built in Lock-Offs---no need for that locking clip

Ability to Tether RF

RF to 33 pounds as opposed to the 30 Graco offers

Cover Options

Plusher seat

HTH
Susan

o_mom
05-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Marathon will last about 3 YEARS longer. Seriously, think long term on this. This is an item that will be used every day for the next 3-5 years. You don't want something you will hate or that will be outgrown before you are ready. A ComfortSport will NOT get you to booster age, whereas a Marathon most likely will.

I had a ComfortSport as our backup seat and my son outgrew it at 24 months and he is very small - only 15th %itle height at his 2 yr checkup. I sold it and bought a Cosco Scenera to replace it and he has about 3 inches left in that.

The Roundabout is a great seat, but it will most likely not get you to booster age. You will need another harnessed seat after it. If you have a very small car that is tight for a rear-facing seat, then you might like the Roundabout better. Also, if you are having more kids in the next few years and can hand it down you will still get your money's worth out of it. We started DS1 in a Roundabout and then moved him to the Decathlon (same size as the Marathon) when DS2 needed the Roundabout.

If you absolutely don't want to pay for a Marathon, then consider a Cosco Scenera. It is only $40 at Walmart, Kmart and Target. It will last until around age three when you can evaluate how fast your DC is growing and if you will need a seat that harnesses past 40 lbs. If you do, you can look at the Britax seats, or if not there are several combo seats that will make decent boosters after 40 lbs. There are also new seats all the time, so there may be something new that will fit your needs better.

ChrissyJames
05-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Wow! That is great advice. Thanks guys - very much appreciated. It sounds like if it fits in our car, the marathon really is worth it for most families. I was worried that I was just paying a lot for the cover options and the plushness and the over all "expensive look" of the seat (which I don't really care much about). The other features sound important, and the long term use is probably good. I have a friend who has her 3 year old in a little booster seat, but the Marathon does look safer than that just due to its size (I am assuming).

AddiesMom
05-06-2006, 06:45 PM
I just bought the Marathon for my car and the Cosco Scerena as a spare seat and used it last weekend for the 1st time on vacation. I like the Cosco for travel, etc... but it is much easier using the Marathon everyday. I found on my Scerena you need to be Wonder Woman to push in the button to release the buckle. My opinion is the Maraton the LATCH is easier to attach and release, the chest clip is better, and it is also easier to tighten the straps.

SusanMae
05-06-2006, 10:24 PM
As to the Marathon fitting in a car..

My best friend is due in about a month. She's registered for a Snug Ride--so we went to check it out. She has an 03? 2 dr Grand Am. The SnugRide renders the front passanger seat virtually useless.

My mom and I got her the MA for her shower gift and being the great friend that she is...she let me install it. Most fun of the day for me!! It FIT...better than the snugride. I checked the angle doing the peice of paper trick--so I'm certain I did it right. Her seats have a good slope to them, but the tether got it in there nice and snug! I took it out for now, but will be reinstalling it at the end of the month--because nobody has bought the snugride and she's had both showers now. Baby will be coming home in a Luau MA. It's VERY soft.

Susan