PDA

View Full Version : Will my Roundabout fit in the bulkhead row of a 747?

wolverine2
05-06-2006, 08:49 PM
I have read before about Britax seats not fitting in the bulkhead row due to the armrests not going up. We are traveling to Australia in June and would love to sit in the bulkhead, as I think it would be easier with our 18-month old DS. My memory of the 747 seems to be that in the middle (4 seats across), the middle armrest didn't go up, but the other two did. If so, would my roundabout fit there? Does anyone happen to know if my memory is correct? We're taking United. Any other ideas about bulkhead vs. non-bulkhead being easier? I'm just thinking he won't kick anyone for 14 hours straight in the bulkhead, plus it's easier to get out.

Thanks,
Carrie

DS 10/04
^i^ 4/06

niccig
05-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Hi,
We did this same trip in Dec/Jan. We were in the bulkhead as DS fitted in the bassinet. If it wasn't for the basinet, I would never sit in that row - there was no place to put all the gear I needed for DS. I ended up having 2 smaller bags, 1 of toys, 1 of food/bottles and stuffed them under our seats as best we could. DH and I could never find anything that we needed, and because the flight is soooo long, we had to get up and get more things out of the carry-on that was in the overhead compartment. Next time, I want to put things under the seat in front of us, so it's easier to get to.

As for kicking people in front, international flights have more leg room, so depending on the height of your DS, he may not be able to touch the seat in front, but that may also depend on how reclined that seat is. You may just need to keep telling DS to stop doing it. And the person in front may decide to not recline their seat if DS can reach it. Just do the best you can. If it's not a full flight, that person can always sit somewhere else. Also, a friend of ours had problems on one flight, and her DH offered to swap seats with the person in front.

Flights from the West Coast leave late at night (9pm or so). Your DS may sleep for half the flight, which is what happened with us. DS slept for 8 hours, woke for 2 and was out again for the remainder of the flight. A little bit of benadryl helped as well.

Good luck on the flight.

wolverine2
05-08-2006, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the advice... I hadn't thought about all the stuff and where to put it, so I'll have to think again about the bulkhead. We had problems with kicking on a recent 2 hr flight, and DH did offer to switch with the person, but I think he just put up with it, and DS eventually fell asleep.

We're leaving from the East Coast, and the flight leaves close to 7, which is when DS usually goes to bed. I think my fear is that he'll sleep on that flight for 6 hours, and then be awake for the longer leg, just when DH and I are exhausted!

DS was in the bassinet last time we did this flight, and it was a piece of cake, but it will be lots harder with an 18 month old! :)
Thanks,
Carrie

DS 10/04
^i^ 4/06

ykc
05-08-2006, 10:06 AM
I don't think the armrests go up in any of the bulkhead seats (it's where they store the trays), which is why we actually avoid those seats. It's just about impossible to keep a toddler buckled into a seat for the whole flight, and at some point, he is probably going to want to be out and lying in/on/across your laps. It's a lot more comfortable for all concerned if the armrests are out of the way. Plus, if the flight is not full (which is, of course, virtually unheard of these days, even for int'l flights--but you can hope), you might be able to snag an extra seat in a different row for a parent to get away for a bit, leaving an extra seat in your own row for some additional space. Again, much nicer not to have the armrests in the way.

Good luck with your flight! Just remember, this too shall pass! :)

niccig
05-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Totally agree about the armrests. When we flew to Australia, there was a couple with an infant and a 3 year beside us. The infant was in the other bassinet and the 3 year old had his own seat. He couldn't get comfortable to sleep and the armrests couldn't be moved out of the way. They put the trays up, blankets on top to make it more comfotable and he slept lying across those, but still attached to his dad's seatbelt - QANTAS has these extenders that attach to your belt, then around the child. Certainly not the safest way to fly, but you do what you can half-way through a 14-hour flight with a cranky tired toddler.

I'm not looking forward to our next flight with DS, I think the toddler ages are going to be the toughest travelling. But like the PP said, you'll get through it.

Nicci