PDA

View Full Version : Britax pricing? Any reason not to go to Target?

alaskadiver
05-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Hi folks:

I last bought a Britax Marathon 3 years ago for daughter #2 from some online store like AlbeeBaby (don't recall which exactly) and got it for a decent discount.

Last week daughter #3 just arrived home from the hospital and I'm looking for another marathon for her so I can get her out of the Graco infant carrier as soon as possible. But after a bit of perusing the net it seems that Britax has managed to fix their retail prices across both the web and brick and mortar stores. Other than closeout 2005 models, I haven't found anyplace that has new Britax at a discount. Best I can find is online stores that offer free shipping at the full retail price.

To my disappointment, the local ToysRUs no longer has Britax either. Waco isn't large enough for a full-size BabiesRUs so we just have the baby section in the ToysRUs store. I remember 3 years ago they had pretty good coupons from time to time. The only local option seems to be Target where they have the Marathon in a nice moss green color that I find attractive and haven't seen in any of the online stores.

So it seems to me that the best bargain at this point is probably to just pick one up at Target, pay the Texas sales tax and then take the 10% off at the register by applying for a Target card which I've never bothered to do before.

Am I missing something? Some secret source for Britax at a discount? Or is this basically the way to go these days?

Splash
05-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Yep, the prices are fixed. No discounts.
Nothing wrong with the ones from Target. Also, if you order at Target.com I believe you get a discount (people here have said before that they got a 10% discount for ordering from Target.com). Don't know for sure... plues then you would not pay sales tax or shipping.
The green one you are talking about is nice and soft, and only available in Target. But I do like it.

tjham
05-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Target.com does charge tax, but usually has free shipping. I ordered mine (Ashley Floral) from there because it was a gift and I wanted her to have the option of returning it to a B&M store if necessary. I also had a 10% off code, which is not always available. If you like the green, I would just get it there!

alaskadiver
05-07-2006, 07:14 PM
>Nothing wrong with the ones from Target. Also, if you order at
>Target.com I believe you get a discount (people here have said
>before that they got a 10% discount for ordering from
>Target.com). Don't know for sure... plues then you would not
>pay sales tax or shipping.
>The green one you are talking about is nice and soft, and only
>available in Target. But I do like it.

No wonder I didn't see the moss green one anywhere else. I think it will go nicely with the beige/tan interior of my Sienna.

Point of correction. Target, like any other company, is required to charge sales tax when shipped to any state in which it has a retail presence. That's why I'm forced to pay sales tax whether I order from Target.com or drive down to the local store.

Pissed me off when lands end was bought by Sears because now I get charged sales tax on any landsend.com purchase sent to my home in Texas despite the fact that they barely carry any lands end stuff at the local Sears. So I go to LL Bean instead as they have a lot of the same stuff.

K-Bear
05-08-2006, 06:44 PM
That's how I got my nice, moss green Marathon:) Except, I already had the card and just waited to get my 10% coupon in the mail before I purchased it.

Funny thing...about 2 weeks after I purchased my Marathon, Target raised the price to $270. I got mine for $225 ($250 - 10% discount)

When you purchase the car seat from Target and open the credit card, be sure to buy other stuff (like diapers, household items, etc.) so you can get the 10% off those items too. The Target credit card rocks if you buy a lot of stuff there! (So says the person who had a big shopping spree this past weekend at Target using her 10% discout card and was able to save over $30)

o_mom
05-09-2006, 08:39 AM
Well, in gerneral, you are required to pay sales tax even if the online retailer doesn't collect it. I think it is kind of silly to get mad because a retailer won't help you evade taxes.

DeeEast
05-09-2006, 10:47 AM
Just wanted to say that I ordered a 2005 closet-out from Tinyride and it was still manufactured in 2006. I got two brand new Zebra Marathons for $219.99 minus the twin discount. Even without the twin discount, $219.99 is a really good price with free shipping and no tax on 2006 Marathons.

K-Bear
05-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Here's another option in case you don't want the Target green...I was just on Great Beginning's (www.greatbeginningsonline.com) website and they are selling a blue Marathon for $219 plus free-shipping. And if you don't live in MD, you won't have to pay sales tax!