PDA

View Full Version : Any boosters that fit well over the hump in the center seat???

Elizasmom
05-07-2006, 02:29 PM
We are thinking about getting a Subaru Outback. The only problem is that we want our DD in the center, but there is a significant hump there. When we tried her Parkway, it was very unstable. Does anyone know of a booster seat that will fit well over the hump? Alternatively, is there a way to modify the seat (towels maybe) so the booster is stable, or is that a huge no no?

Splash
05-07-2006, 03:17 PM
That would definitely be a huge no no.
No seats on humps. If the seat cannot fit level, then you can't out a seat there. SOME humps are slight enough that a seat can go there fine, but normally an installed harness seat. I don't think you can safely put a booster on a seat with a large hump.

Elizasmom
05-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks! Are you a tech? Does everyone else out there agree with this? I don't doubt you, but always good to get multiple points of view.

I just looked at the Honda Accord. It has a hump too, but it's as wide as the booster is so the booster fit fine without being unstable. That would be okay, right? I suppose it could slip off the hump in extreme cornering or something and become unstable, but that would not be likely. I think I'm going to get a Recaro booster for this new car so I can tether it too increase stability further.

Joolsplus2
05-08-2006, 07:50 AM
Yeah, nothing under the seat is ok... A Recaro is very stable, or a Bodyguard might work, it clamps the lapbelt down nicely and the seat in place. The Starriser Comfy is also super narrow...but you wouldn't want to use it outboard (the others are totally fine outboard with side airbags, I know it's hard to relax and believe that, but it really is true :) ).

Or how about a ride safer travel vest? Or a car with center LATCH and you can use the safeguard Go?
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Sallysmom
05-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Thanks. The Go looks interesting, but she's too tall for the harness feature. That would be too much to pay just for the booster feature. Are there any other boosters that use LATCH?

A friend of mine has 5 kids and had no choice but to get the Starriser to fit them all in her van. She has a Starriser outboard with no side airbags. Is that really bad? I feel kinda bad about it because I was the one who told her to get it after researching on this board. Nothing else would fit three across in the back row.

Sallysmom
05-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Oh, FYI, Sallysmom and Elizasmom are the same person. I have two girls. Sorry!