PDA

View Full Version : I need a CPS tech. Help Jools!

DeeEast
05-08-2006, 12:45 PM
I'm on another board and there are a lot of questions about car seats right now, specifically infant seats and when to turn forward-facing in a convertible. I've stated the facts about rear-facing to the limits of the particular seat (i.e. Britax 33 lbs. etc.) as being much safer, etc.

In regards to the limits of infant-seats, I want to make sure I have my facts straight. Its my understanding that the height-limit in infant seats is not written in stone and that its ok until the top of the child's head is an inch below the top of the seat. But the weight limit must be strictly adhered to. As in when the child hits 20 lbs/22 lbs. whatever, then the infant seat is no longer usable and its on to a convertible. Is this correct?

Finally, its also my understanding that the straps in a rear-facing seat should come from slightly below the shoulders, and in no circumstances should they come above the shoulders while rear-facing. But when forward-facing, they should be at or slightly above the shoulders. Is this correct? Thanks so much!

bensmom
05-08-2006, 02:46 PM
>But the weight limit must be strictly adhered
>to. As in when the child hits 20 lbs/22 lbs. whatever, then
>the infant seat is no longer usable and its on to a
>convertible. Is this correct?

Yes. The weight limit is "written in stone" and you cannot use the infant seat once the weight limit is reached. The seat is tested with an infant dummy that weighs 22 pounds (older seats, 20 pounds), so using the seat above that weight turns the child into the test dummy :( (I know that sounds harsh, but it's essentially true).

>Finally, its also my understanding that the straps in a
>rear-facing seat should come from slightly below the
>shoulders, and in no circumstances should they come above the
>shoulders while rear-facing. But when forward-facing, they
>should be at or slightly above the shoulders. Is this correct?

Generally, at or below the shoulders for RF and at or above for FF. When RF, sometimes it is necessary for the straps to be above the shoulders (new babies might be shorter than the lowest straps; the lower slots might be *too* low and cause the straps to fall off the shoulders, in which case it is better to move them up). I believe (but Julie will know) that at one point, there was a seat that said above for both RF and FF.

HTH!

Ilana

CPS Tech and mom

kijip
05-09-2006, 02:54 PM
>In regards to the limits of infant-seats, I want to make sure
>I have my facts straight. Its my understanding that the
>height-limit in infant seats is not written in stone and that
>its ok until the top of the child's head is an inch below the
>top of the seat. But the weight limit must be strictly adhered
>to. As in when the child hits 20 lbs/22 lbs. whatever, then
>the infant seat is no longer usable and its on to a
>convertible. Is this correct?

Right-o!

>Finally, its also my understanding that the straps in a
>rear-facing seat should come from slightly below the
>shoulders, and in no circumstances should they come above the
>shoulders while rear-facing. But when forward-facing, they
>should be at or slightly above the shoulders. Is this correct?
>Thanks so much!

RF: At or below
FF: At ot above

So you are pretty much correct there.

DeeEast
05-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks guys. I thought I knew but then got nervous. Anybody want to help me convince people that babies don't HAVE to be turned forward-facing at a year and 20 lbs.? *sigh*

Joolsplus2
05-10-2006, 07:48 AM
Good info, can't argue. Only in the case of a 5-pt harness where an infant is below the bottom slots is it ok for the straps to be above the shoulders (Britax used to *always* recommend being above the shoulders, but bent to pressure from advocates to change the rules to at or below for rearfacing, but that's just a little tidbit for those in the know...don't want to confuse anyone by saying it in too public a forum).

Oh, I love this link... it says the people who say one year are wrong, in a kind of ironic way... It's fairly convincing, I think

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9916868/

Good luck, and tell people to top tether their seats if they are hell bent on forward facing them, because that does add a fair bit of safety.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx