PDA

View Full Version : Booster seat in front of an arm rest???

Elizasmom
05-10-2006, 12:06 PM
We are planning to buy a new Honda Accord. We will put our daughter's booster in the center position, which has a fold down armrest. Is that really okay? I am picturing in an accident that her booster would move forward, allowing the armrest to come down behind it. Could this cause problems? If there's any question, I can get the Value Edition Accord, which lacks an armrest.

Joolsplus2
05-12-2006, 06:23 AM
As far as I know (and you know I love this sort of factoid!), no child has ever been injured by an armrest in the back seat, rearfacing, forward facing, or boostered.
What DOES cause injury is big center consoles in the front seat to adult passengers in side impact crashes. Flip-down armrests or tables are ok, but a big tall console doesn't 'give' much and hips get crushed between doors and consoles in really bad crashes (Just another factoid, that...I saw a presentation at Lifesavers on it...I wouldn't worry a smidge about the fold down armrest in the middle for older kids or grownups in the backseat).

:)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Elizasmom
05-12-2006, 08:21 AM
Hmmm, I hope this doesn't fall into the category of a console. It is wide and has plastic cup holders in it.