PDA

View Full Version : Looking for narrow car seats - please help!

heather516
05-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Hello!

I am in the market for a couple of new car seats. I'm trying to fit my (soon to be) 3 kids all in the second row of my Lexus GX. It's a pretty narrow car and the three seats we have now won't fit - A Roundabout Advantage for my 2.5 year old, a Britax Wizard for my 4 year old, and a Graco Snug Ride for the infant (due in June). My 2.5 year old is about 34" and 27 pounds, so he can easily stay in the Roundabout for a while. My 4 year old is 40" and about 35 pounds. I want to keep her in a 5 point harness until she hits 40 pounds, so moving her into a booster isn't an option I really want to consider.

So, can anyone recommend a narrow infant seat to replace my Graco Snug Ride and a convertible seat for my DD to replace the Wizard? I wish we could just keep the Wizard, but it's so wide that I can't get two more seats installed safely for the other two kids.

Thanks so much!!

Heather

Splash
05-11-2006, 01:57 AM
Why don't you try the WZ outboard rear facing for your middle child, a Graco Cargo center for your oldest, and a baby trend latch loc outboard for the baby. The Cargo is very narrow, as is the latch loc.
Or you could get the oldest a ridesafer vest or EZ-on harness and put her in the middle, and then have room for the two seats you already have outboard, as she will no longer he in a 'seat' (but will be harnessed) and therefore won't take up any more room than her bum.
I have been able to fit a RF BV (same size as the Wizard) center with two Graco cargos outboard in a Saturn Ion, which only has 49.5 inches rear hip room, and I KNOW your car has to be bigger than that! I've also done it with a BT latch loc center, a cosco AO outboard rear and forward facing, and a cargo outboard. It can be done!

Joolsplus2
05-11-2006, 07:19 AM
I wish the Sunshine Kids Radian were more available, but if you can find one and try it out, it's very narrow and might work fine. The Safeguard GO is also a narrow choice, but again, almost impossible to find in real life to try. But otherwise, yes, the cargo is narrow (I knew a mom with a two door 1995 civic with two cargos and a cosco touriva... amazingly narrow seats!)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

heather516
05-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Thank you both!!! I will check out the seats you recommended. I think Target.com has the Radian - I wonder if I can return it to a bricks & mortar store if it doesn't work?

jeanum
05-12-2006, 05:16 AM
I didn't realize Target.com had the Radian, good to know. Under the "additional info." tab for the Radian's listing on Target.com it says it can be returned to any Target store. Target's price is $199 and it looks like there is a shipping charge. If you do a search for Target coupon codes online, you can probably find a 10% off any order code. Then also go through an online shopping site such as EBates to get an additional % rebate when you use the EBates shopping link for Target.com, and use the 10% off code to stack your discounts. HTH.