PDA

View Full Version : ? for the Canadian (or American) techs about top tethers in the '05 Odyssey

bubbaray
05-10-2006, 06:32 PM
The post below got me thinking. What do you do say you are driving an '05 Odyssey and you have 5 kids who need top tethers (ie., FFg harnessed seats). I shudder at the thought, personally, but quint's aside, I can see how its possible even without multiples in the mix.

So, if you get pulled over at a car seat inspection, what's the rule? If the car d/n have tethers anchors and you are using the ones that are available (in this case, 2 2nd row captains chairs, and 3rd row center, the 2nd row "8th" seat isn't legal for any seats in Canada), can they still fine you?

I guess this would also apply to any other car that didn't come with top tethers and couldn't have them added.

Thoughts?

Melissa

Maya Papaya!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

jujucb
05-11-2006, 06:09 AM
I'm not a tech. Just a Canadian advocate ;) It is my understanding that vehicles which cannot be equipped with top tether anchors (like convertibles and older cars) are exempt from our top tethering laws. If you have mulitple seats in a van without enough top tethers, I also believe you are exempt.

Piglet
05-11-2006, 08:32 AM
Could you not get them added after-market? I had an old Dodge Colt without any tether anchors and I had one installed at the Chrysler dealership. I wonder if Honda would do it at their dealership? What would be the restrictions on adding top tehters?

o_mom
05-11-2006, 10:00 AM
The 2005 odyssey has only one anchor in the third row, and no means to add extras. That was the year Honda did a major redesign and for some reason, that feature was dropped - most likely because they didn't get the testing done in time. The 2006 has top tether anchors in all three spots

bubbaray
05-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Yes, that is correct. The dealers are NOT able to retro-fit top tethers in the third row of the '05.

The '06's and beyond have the same type of TT as in the 2nd row -- it is on the seat bottom at the back. The '05 single 3rd row TT is across the cargo area, so you couldn't put a stroller in there if you were using the TT.

Melissa

Maya Papaya!

MaisyBabies
05-11-2006, 11:51 PM
This is the EXACT problem that we have!! Whomever designed this minivan is NOT a parent, nor do they really understand what a minivan is all about!! Why have a big back storage area if you can't use it????

While I realize that pretty much none of the companies out there consider a triplet (or more) family when they are making their products, and I understand that, but the malfunction of so many products makes me wish that I was a designer or product tester!!

hipmaman
05-12-2006, 07:11 PM
That's why I like the Toyota Sienna 2004 or newer. Tether anchors galore and in the right places. I own a 2001 Odysey so we do have the anchors across the cargo bay but at least I can have all 3 installed should I need them all. The newer Odyssey is such a dud when it comes to this.

And I have to check about the exemption on tether usage for something like the Odyssey.

bubbaray
05-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Its only the 2005 Ody with this stupid 3rd row configuration.

The 2006 and newer Ody's have the 3rd row tethers on the seatback of the 3rd row, so you don't have the strap across the cargo area.

Yeah, I would have given up one or two of the 15+ cupholders for three decent tether anchors in that 3rd row! I don't have need for them, but it just kinda bugs me.

I totally agree with Tam, the Sienna is a great van -- we had a tough time choosing between the two. If you have triplets, either look at the 2006 & newer Odysseys or 2004 and newer Siennas.

Melissa

Maya Papaya!

hipmaman
05-13-2006, 06:01 AM
Good to know about post-2005 Odyssey is the only one with 1 anchor for the 3rd bench. Honda probably heard the complain loud and clear.

See it's not hard for those engineers to rejig the design a little to add all 3 tethers at the back of the seat. Either they think it would not matter or that they were not thinking at all when eliminate 2 anchors in the 2005.