PDA

View Full Version : Disjointed info on car seats from Ontario government

tg_canada
05-11-2006, 10:55 AM
I was perusing around trying to find out if any new infant seats were available in Canada (waiting for that Companion!) and stumbled up on an Ontario government web site that has car seat recommendations/laws. I found their booster seat info disturbing as they say A child can start using a seatbelt alone once any one of the following criteria is met:child turns eight years oldchild weighs 36 kg (80 lbs)child is 145 cm (4 feet 9 inches) tall.
Then in the next section they contradict themselves by saying Seatbelts are designed for adults and older, larger children. Once your child can sit all the way against the vehicle seat-back with legs bent comfortably over the edge of the seat, and with the shoulder belt flat across the shoulder and chest, he or she is ready to move from the booster seat to the vehicle seatbelt.
So if you have a child that is 8 or older and can't sit in the seat properly like they suggest, we all know that a child should still be in a booster seat, but according to their law, because the child is 8, it's fine to let them sit in a regular seat belt....

I mean seriously, if the child doesn't meet the weight or height requirements to sit in a regular seat belt, how does turning 8 magically make them able to sit in the regular seatbelt??

This is the web site http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/carseat/choose.htm#preschool

hipmaman
05-11-2006, 07:56 PM
Yes, the law is not airtight, but without making it that way, we would have some adults lawfully obligated to be in boosters too. Well at least that's what we were told by MTO when we complained.

Parents who want their kids restrained properly will do so as they need to and not as soon as one of those three requirements is met. Unfortunately, there is an 'easy' out for those that don't want to go further than what the law says.

hipmaman
05-12-2006, 05:55 PM
I heard that it is now available in Canada. It came from a few techs in Mississauga that seen the thing and tried it out during one of the training sessions.

tg_canada
05-15-2006, 01:01 PM
>I heard that it is now available in Canada. It came from a
>few techs in Mississauga that seen the thing and tried it out
>during one of the training sessions.

Thanks! I'll slowly start my search on a place to get it now. Luckily I don't need it for a few months yet which gives me time to locate it.