PDA

View Full Version : RF Tethering, how does it work ?

Owens_Mommy
05-13-2006, 12:23 PM
I'm trying to picture how a rf seat would be tethered. Does it go over the top of the seat? If so, does this interfere with taking the baby in and out? RF tethering sounds like a wonderful concept, I can't imagine any other way to get the wiggle room out, however it seems like it would be very awkward. I got so many great replies with prior silly car seat questions, thought I'd ask again. Thanks

bensmom
05-13-2006, 02:26 PM
There are two different ways to tether a RF seat (although only a RF seat that the manufacturer allows you to tether). One is as you have described, which helps prevent the seat from over-rotating. The other is to tether from the seat, straight down to floor. This prevents the seat from cocooning. The second method does not use the car's tether anchor.

Here's a site with pictures of both.

http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/isakswings/ratetherrf.html

Ilana

CPS Tech and mom

californiagirl
05-13-2006, 03:55 PM
I found that Australian-style tethering, where the tether goes over the top of the seat, actually helped me get the baby in and out without whacking her head on the roof of the car. You, of course, may be the sort of coordinated and graceful person who already avoids whacking the baby against the roof.

kk
05-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks for posting this link. I was just going to ask if it was okay to tether my RF RA "under" the seat to the factory tether hook in my 05 Sienna. It would seem I am using the Swedish method and it works great. Thanks again. Kristan

kk
05-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks for posting this link. I was just going to ask if it was okay to tether my RF RA "under" the seat to the factory tether hook in my 05 Sienna. It would seem I am using the Swedish method and it works great. Thanks again. Kristan

KAK22
05-13-2006, 05:05 PM
I whack DD's head on the roof just about every time I put her into or take her out of her carseat. She just gives me this look like - "AGAIN??? Won't you ever learn?"

So, glad other people do it!

bensmom
05-13-2006, 08:39 PM
Actually, I should have added that since this site was created, I believe that Britax has said that it is not ok to do this. I'll double check though.

ETA: I confirmed that Britax now says that you cannot tether to the anchor for the seat that the carseat is on. Try using the D-ring, and post back if you have questions.

Ilana

CPS Tech and mom