PDA

View Full Version : *UPDATE* 2 1/2 YO refuses to get into his carseat - DH wants to move him to a booster - YIKES!

momto2boys
05-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Thank you for the ideas and suggestions. We ran a few errands yesterday and DS got right into his carseat four out of the five times he was asked. The only time he didn't was when leaving the house so DH took the 'buttons' (garage door opener) away from him and let his big brother close the door as we left. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it keeps working.

We did take a look at some of the seats suggested but DS kept pointing at the Parkway in BRU. I would love to get him the Regent but DH wants his next seat to be the last we buy for him. So he'll stay in the Wizard until he is big enough for a Parkway or other BPB.

Thanks again for your help!

************************************************** *****************************************

DH (and I, most of the time) is at his wits end with DS not getting into his carseat when asked. It is a battle that no amount of bribery helps us win. We've tried giving him the garage door opener, my RAZR cell phone, candy, etc. to no avail. DH just ran out to pick up dinner and DS would not get into his seat. So, DH put him in the house and he has been sitting on my lap crying for the last ten minutes because he didn't get to go with DH.

DS always jumps into big brothers Britax Parkway instead of his Wizard. Therefore, DH is asking if there is a booster that he can use instead of the Wizard. I've looked into the Compass but I am uncomfortable with it since it does not have a five-point harness. Also, DS hovers between 30 and 32 lbs. so he barely meets the weight recommendation.

Can anyone offer suggestions of how to get DS to cooperate and get in his seat? I've had to force him in on a few occasions which is no easy feat. Would it be really terrible to give in and buy the Compass for him even though I am uncomfortable? I really, really want to wait until he's big enough for the Britax Parkway which has the TSIP.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Kathy

DS #1 - 12/01
DS #2 - 11/03
DS #3 edd 7/06

kellyotn
05-13-2006, 08:09 PM
:( I wouldn't put a kid that age, or that size, into a booster. Sorry. Maybe this instance of staying home instead of going with dad will be a catalyst?? Stay consistent with that. No seat, no go. Make up fun "trips" - ice cream store, etc. If he doesn't cooperate, no ice cream.

Maybe try a new seat? You have a new baby coming, so it will get used. Maybe hype a new MA with his choice of cover....? The sports team ones? Let him pick something out from BRU/USA Baby/Walmart? At his size, a Scenera will probably last for over a year and at $40, its not much money.....

A Regent sits very low, it might "feel" like a booster. Same for an Apex. The Evenflo Generations/Bolero might seem fun, I think it has a cupholder which always seems to be a big deal. ;)

My DD went thru a phase at about two, luckily it didn't last long at all. Like two or three weeks. She DID have to climb in herself though. I'd taught her to do so b/c I was having a c-section with #2. So, even after I was healed, she HAD to climb in.

Good luck!

MamaKath
05-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Another mom who would not go to a bpb yet, especially given the situation. What if then he refuses to ride properly in that one? :-( I would try what I could- a new harnessed seat, etc. Maybe if he was able to pick a different harnessed seat or cover, he would feel more in control. Experiences like tonight teach him that the safety rules have to be followed or there is a consequence. Let's face it, that is a rough age (dc is not in control of much, yet dc is getting the awareness that dc really wants to be), and carseats aren't fun (especially when watching a sib with the freedom of movement a booster allows). Finding a way to acknowledge that may be all the validation he needs.

GL~

Momof3Labs
05-14-2006, 07:13 AM
Just a thought - could you put DS1 into a Regent instead of the Parkway? Then it wouldn't matter which seat DS2 jumped into - he'd be safe in either.

Joolsplus2
05-14-2006, 09:05 AM
Ooh, I like that idea :). My 8 and 6 yo's can sit in each others Husky and no one's unsafe :).

The Compass SUCKS for young kid, really, really sucks. The Parkway has the same lower limits and fits a small kid much better, but I'd really, really, really say don't do it. If you can't get him to sit in your approved seat at age 2, you are in for some pretty large discipline issues later :(.
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx