PDA

View Full Version : Harnessed combination seats with built-in 5-point harnesses

emmasmama
05-15-2006, 08:15 PM
Please help me - I'm so confused! Looking for a 2nd (not-too-expensive) seat to use in harnessed mode (for a while) that will eventually become the main seat (in booster mode).

Questions about harnessed combo seats:

1) Can you use these on an airplane? I've read yes and no.
2) I read in some old posts that you can't use the 5-pt harness past 40 lbs on some of these, except for the Cosco Apex. Is this correct?
3) What might work for me that would also be easy to install and uninstall in harnessed mode? Would be for use in '98 Ford Contour.

My child's details:
almost 3 years old
37 lbs
38" tall

Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance if you can help me out!

Aunt to sweet baby boy
05-15-2006, 08:20 PM
What is your DD's torso height? Sit her against a wall flat on her bottom and measure from the floor to the top of her shoulders. At 37 lbs there are not many seats that i would reccomend.

1) you can use some combo seats on a airplane, the Apex is one that you can not use on a plane.
2) yes the Cosco apex is the only combo seat that i know of that harnesses over 40 lbs
3) not sure, after you narrow down your choices we can help you out some more.

The Apex is ~ $130, the FP Deluxe is ~$180, the MA can be found for around ~$230 and the Regent is around ~$250

HTH

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/060403/hfNw.jpg[/img]http://b2.lilypie.com/h2bbm7/.png[/img][/url]

kellyotn
05-16-2006, 08:43 AM
Yeah, at that age and that weight, I'd only recommend the Apex from your list. You want to keep them harnessed until they are mature enough to sit properly every ride - the *minimum* recommendation is 4 years depending on the kid. I know lots of older kids who aren't mature enough. And, if they sleep in the car, harnessed is much better. I just don't think you'll make it too long with only three pounds left to 40 lbs. I'm in the same boat with my 37 lb 3.5 year old. I want to harness until 5.5 minimum so all the 40 lbs seats are obviously out.

Another consideration is that the combo's don't always end up making a great booster. Ok for a 2nd car, but something to think about since you want it to be your main booster. The Apex does make an OK booster, plus you'll get so much harnessing out of it, it won't be so bad if you decide to buy a dedicated booster later. You do know about the headrest rule? The top of your child's ears have to be at or below the vehicle's seatback when seated in the Apex as its headrest isn't "structural".

I don't know for sure about the Apex on a plane, but its so big and floppy, I'd not want to take it even if you could. :)

You could consider a MA or the Fisher Price Safe Voyage EX clone (goes to 55 lbs, same height as MA). That should last you awhile, **very** easy to install with seatbelts front facing, NICE seat, is approved for planes, then you can get a cheap booster when your child is 5 or 6.

Since your child is pretty big, a Regent would also be a good investment. Its big, but not that big. I've seen a pic of it next to a MA and overall they were shockingly similar. The Regent sits very low while the MA is way up on a base. My DD is on the top slot of an MA and would be on the 3rd from the top on a Regent. Pretty good gain in useable height w/o actually being a lot bigger overall! It cannot go on a plane and would be harder to move around, but GREAT seat.

If you can try it, a Radian convertible seat goes to 60 or 65 lbs (can't remember) has a bit higher slots than an MA/FP clone, but it does have some install issues FF with the seatbelt in certain cars, so its best to try before you buy or buy from somewhere where you confirm the return policy. Its $180. If it works in your car, it'd be really nice. Its very narrow, the seat folds up, and I think it looks nice.

edited for typo.