PDA

View Full Version : Apex 65 install ?

bubbaray
05-16-2006, 09:01 AM
OK, me again for Nicki/Threeblips, mom of triplet boys. She got the Apex 65 yesterday and installed all 3 seats. However, to get a tight install (Dodge Caravan, 2 in 2nd row captains chairs, 3rd in rear bench), she removed the headrests from the car seatbacks.

Don't you need to keep the headrests installed with the Apex seat? I thought I read that somewhere here.

TIA!
Melissa

Maya Papaya!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

kellyotn
05-16-2006, 09:26 AM
The rule per the manual is something to the effect of the mid-point of the child's head needs to be AT OR BELOW the vehicle's seatback/headrest when the child is seated in the Apex. Basically, the Apex's headrest isn't structural, its floppy, it NEEDS the vehicle seatback to support it.

So, if the kids are short enough, they might be ok now, but she needs to assess the distance they have until they'd get too tall.... I had the same issue in our truck. My daughter would possibly fit right now, but have NO growing room before it wouldn't work.

If she can't install them w/ the headrest in place, it might be unworkable in the long term. :(

Joolsplus2
05-16-2006, 09:58 AM
I consulted with a CPST-Instructor I know, and here's what her opinion is..."I have an Apex right now that I used for the training class last week.
The *only* mention of the top of the child's ears not exceeding the top
of the vehicle seatback comes at the end of the manual when it
discusses use of the product as a booster. I think it's fine w/o the
headrests in place when the seat is used as a harnessed seat.
Honestly, it's really not flimsy until you crank that headrest all the
way up." (I should note I was confused, I thought the seat was rather flimsy so that it should just bend forward with the vehicle headrest and I couldn't really understand how the headrest would prevent a good install, like it would a Marathon which is stiff at the top, kwim?).

Hi Nicki! You know, I think I would call Cosco, there should be a number on the seat or manual or box, and see if they can give you any further advice...it's such a new seat that not a lot of us have had heaps of experience with it yet. Good luck!

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

bubbaray
05-16-2006, 10:28 AM
Thanks, ladies! I've passed that along to Nicki. :)

Thanks again!

Melissa

Maya Papaya!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

kellyotn
05-16-2006, 10:29 AM
I totally agree. Call Cosco.

I do remember mention of it only being in the booster section of the manual. But my DD's head would be higher than "the rule" allows when she had TONS of harness time left, and I can't imagine that'd be safe so I didn't get one. (We have an F-350 with low seatbacks. Directly behind the seat is glass.)

The whole thing is very confusing and they should have just built it with a bit more plastic in the headrest! ;) Or, just build a Scenera-type seat (cheap, basic "big" convertible) that goes to 65 lbs! Cosco, are you listening? ;)