PDA

View Full Version : Yet another airline carseat question - for 2.5 year old

dules
05-16-2006, 03:02 PM
We are travelling NJ-CA this summer with our 2.5 year old, who is around 37.5 inches and 30 lbs, and in a Marathon in our car. We just turned her forward facing in the last month.

We will rent a car in San Diego and spend a week there, a week in LA. I know the freeways out there and want to have the safest seat. :)

So - do we lug the Marathon with us, or is there a better option? I was considering a Roundabout but don't know if the size difference justifies the expense, especially since we won't get much use out of it.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks so much.

Best,
Mary

o_mom
05-16-2006, 03:38 PM
I would skip the Roundabout at this point. You will only get about another year out of it. It doesn't weigh that much less than a Marathon anyway.

The Graco Cargo is a decent choice since you are already forward facing. It has EPS foam in the deep head wings, just like the Britax seat. It is lightweight and very narrow so you should have no problems installing in the airplane. The rental car should have LATCH, so you will have a very easy install there. They are around $99 usually, though Target has them on sale for $78 every few months. Just make sure to get one with a front harness adjuster.

hipmaman
05-16-2006, 05:39 PM
If you need a second carseat for use at home, then I would consider getting one that is lighter and easy to install on plane and car. But if you are thinking of getting a carseat just for this trip, I would say not to bother with the extra expense.

The MA is not that hard to travel with. There are things that you can do to transport it through the airport such as the Gogobaby cart, an economical foldabel/travel luggage cart, on a stroller, etc.

Edit to correct Gogobaby to Gogokidz :)

stillplayswithbarbies
05-16-2006, 07:20 PM
the base of the Roundabout is the same size as the Marathon and they weigh about the same, so you don't save much by getting the Roundabout.

Take the seat you are familiar with (Marathon). You know she is comfy in it and you know how to install it.

MaisyBabies
05-16-2006, 09:47 PM
I just wanted to second this piece of advice. We went on our first plane trip a couple months ago, taking 2 MAs & 1 WZ, and we purchased three of the gogokidz to help us out. What an AMAZING product! I have to give it kudos x3!!

My suggestion, since you know how to install your car seat and use it correctly already, I would stick with that same seat for travelling. So much is going to be out of place for your toddler, keeping his/her seat familiar will help her out too.

HTH!