PDA

View Full Version : New Car - Need MORE Car Seats- Questions

MaisyBabies
05-16-2006, 11:12 PM
Several questions, ONCE AGAIN, for all the experts here! We just got a second car (didn't think that would ever happen) and now we are stuck trying to buy more car seats (never thought that would happen for a while either).

Here's the logistics, it's a Honda Element - only seats 4 people (don't ask, why we purchased a 4 seater, as a family of 5). The kids are all FFing. I KNOW the rule about not putting a child in the front seat, BUT, the Element has one of those detectors which shuts off the airbag. In an extreme pinch, can a car seat be placed there safely? Of course, I don't expect this to happen, but I just needed to know what the deal is with this in case of an emergency.

Next, we will have to buy two new car seats. They have already outgrown the Graco ComfortSports in height, and we just recently moved to the MAs for my minivan. So I am puzzled to find an economical car seat that has high enough strap holes. It can be a FF only seat, not worried about if it's FAA approved. It would be a bonus if it was able to turn into the next seat they need, again, just a bonus. Under $100 each would be awesome, especially since we have to buy two.

Thanks so much, AGAIN for saving us in this never ending quest to buy the right car seats!

Aunt to sweet baby boy
05-16-2006, 11:34 PM
What are their weights? What are the kids torso heights- sit them flat on their bottom against the wall and measure from the floor to the top of the shoulders where the harness would come out? Does the car have high headrests?

I am not sure what to do about the air bag situation but i could help with a seat.

Thanks

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/060403/hfNw.jpg[/img]http://b2.lilypie.com/h2bbm7/.png[/img][/url]

MaisyBabies
05-17-2006, 12:05 AM
Hi Ilana,

The average of three of them is right about 15 inches (14, 15, 15.5). They are 2y4m, all weighing right under 30lbs.

We made the mistake with buying the ComfortSports, and then having to buy the MA, and now I feel completely unable to pick out seats for myself!

Thanks for your help!

Aunt to sweet baby boy
05-17-2006, 01:14 AM
I think the Cosco Apex would work well in your case. It harnesses to 65 lbs and i *think* the harness goes up to about 17". It must be used with a high back seat so it would not be the best if you are going to have to take the seats and put them in another car. They also become pretty good boosters. I think they are a little over $100- maybe 120 but i know that toys r us and babies r us has coupons every so often and i *think* they have a discount when buying multiple seats.

I would try it out in your car just to make sure the seat works with the headrest on the Apex all the way up and your actual car seat fitting fine together. I say to do this because when you are using the seat the child's ears must have a seatback behind them and it is better to figure this out now than much later on.

HTH

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/060403/hfNw.jpg[/img]http://b2.lilypie.com/h2bbm7/.png[/img][/url]

schums
05-17-2006, 09:04 AM
Another option would be the Costco Scenera, which costs about $40 at Target. It doesn't turn into a booster, but has high top slots and should last you for a good long time (DD, who is big, still fits into the Scenera with room to spare). Then, when your DC have outgrown them, you can see what's on the market for what they need at that time.

HTH,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

o_mom
05-17-2006, 12:42 PM
The Graco Cargo makes an awesome harnessed seat up to 40 lbs - with very high top slots (close to the MA) They are around $99 and usually on sale for $78 every few months at Target. Just make sure to get one with a front adjuster. It makes an OK booster later, but not great.

Evenflo also makes one, the Chase (and a few other twins) that is a good harnessed seat and a decent booster. The harness adjuster is a knob on the side, so try it out first to make sure you won't hate it.

The Scenera would be an OK choice, but will be outgrown sooner than these.

Splash
05-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Also, if you have adjustable headrests or high seat backs (which I know you do in that car) the Safety 1St prospect is a good harnessed seat with high top slots, EPS foam headwings, and good padding. It harnesses up to 40 pounds and then is a really nice booster (way better than the graco or evenflo combination seats) and can even be used as a backless booster later.
I've seen them for seventy dollars.

As for the front seat... yes, you can do it. I wouldn't, but you can. But find out your cutoff for the airbag. If you put a 50 pound kid and a 10 pound seat... it still might deploy.

MaisyBabies
05-17-2006, 10:53 PM
Thank you everyone for your time and replies. I purchased two of the Apex 65 seats, and have tried to put them in the car. Even though there is enough room for these monster seats, I can't get the seats tightly into the car using the LATCH buckles.

THIS frustrates me to no end! No wonder there's such a high percentage of people out there using their car seats incorrectly!!

I can't pull the LATCH strap anymore, because the buckle is now stopping on the edge of the seat, and there is no way for me to keep pulling. I tried to get behind the seat some how to pull it through, but it won't budge. It's too long to make it tight and too short for the buckle to "round" the corner of the seat. UGH!!

Being that this is our 10th & 11th car seat that we have purchased, in the last 2 years, I am VERY frustrated by the car seat industry! I really wish that I had the time to devote to making it better.

kellyotn
05-18-2006, 07:52 AM
Can you try the seatbelts? LATCH isn't "better or safer" its just supposed to be easier. (Clearly, that's not always the case!) You do have to discontinue using LATCH at 40 or 48 lbs depending on your car, so its worth a shot to try.

Sorry you've had such a rough go. I do think the car seat industry AND the manufacturers need to get in sync. It really, really shouldn't be so hard.