PDA

View Full Version : The car seat inventor won on The American Inventor

Oregonmother
05-19-2006, 12:04 AM
Evenflo is going to help him develop the product. Can't wait to see what becomes of it.

tjham
05-19-2006, 01:21 AM
I watched the last 15 minutes or so. They kept showing the other guy's game but didn't show the car seat! (at least while I was watching) I guess they figured everyone had seen it but darn! I wanted to see it.

Joolsplus2
05-19-2006, 07:26 AM
Wooooooowwwwww... I can't believe I didn't watch that! (oh, dh HAD to see a show about the freemasons...that was interesting, too....I guess...)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

TaChapm
05-19-2006, 10:04 AM
I was so happy for him! I think his concept is really cool but think it will be hard to develop it and address all the issues that will come up since it is such a different design. I hope they are able to follow through with it.

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler William 6-9-05
OMG!!! It's a GIRL!! Due September 5, 2006!

http://b4.lilypie.com/gzWfm8.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/kLMem8.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/UEZ3m8.png

MaisyBabies
05-19-2006, 12:27 PM
I am actually really shocked that he won. It's an awesome product and IF they can actually make it work, it will be amazing. But there are so many logistical aspects of it, that just seem down right impossible.

That's why I am amazed that it won, because it's not something that you will find out on the market tomorrow, where I felt like a lot of those other products, they could market them immediately.

His idea of a pod to enclose your child in, with in your car, just seems impossible. Think about how big this pod will have to be just to fit a car seat - then put that all in your car safely!

I can't get my car seats installed correctly, I can't imagine how they will get this huge pod installed safely into a car either!

I am completely for this invention IF it really can work.

Just MHO . . .

jeanum
05-19-2006, 01:57 PM
I was pleasantly surprised to see him win. I figured the CPS issue wouldn't be such a big deal to the average viewer unlike carseat geeks like me, but he did have a compelling story. Okay now, fess up, how many of us called to vote for him on several different phone lines? ;)

Piglet
05-19-2006, 03:40 PM
I hoped he would win because I think his product was the most creative, original and potentially life-improving. DH came up with the car size solution - attach it to the roof, LOL. Heck if it is a self contained pod, you should be able to anchor it just about anywhere!

DeeEast
05-19-2006, 11:16 PM
I never watched this show but I'd love to see a picture of his invention. I went to the show's web site and they don't have any. Does anybody know where I can see a pic of it?

Emmas Mom
05-19-2006, 11:56 PM
I voted for him on two different lines! :D lol I really am interested in seeing what they can do with it. In his commercial they showed it inside of a car so I know they had to at least get it installed in ONE. Of course it looked like a large SUV didn't it? It's really sad how he came up with it but what a sweet tribute to his daughter in naming after her.

jeanum
05-20-2006, 06:51 AM
I was too mad after seeing the seat FF in the SUV with the loose harness around the baby in his commercial to actually vote for him, but I'm still glad to see him win.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
05-20-2006, 07:12 PM
I know a lot of people who called on every phone they had to vote for this guy.

Even if all it can do is help how carseats in general are made, the testing alone showed it can help, so saving lives kind of rates above all the other products.

I do wish that it weren't evenflo that he was working with... I'd rather see Britax or even Graco tackling this one... the company that made the titan and makes those evenflo infant seats should not be in charge of this project.

However, they do occasionally make a great seat or two... or a great product, so I guess I shouldn't be so negative.

momtoB
05-20-2006, 08:15 PM
I was sort of dissapointed to see Evenflo is the company that is going to help him with this project. I hope that if they can get it to work it turns into a really good seat.

As far as it being f/fing instead of rear-facing, as I understand it because of the design, how it rotates in a crash, it negates the need for rear-facing. This could actually be a really good thing since so many parents out there still turn their dc around too soon because "they like it better that way" or whatever the excuse du jour is.

I'm still unsure how it would really work in an accident. Would it move with normal car movement? Would it cause children to suffer from motion sickness?

I did think the baby's harness was too loose in the commercial, too. And it needs a 5-pt harness with a chest clip. Having the baby in a 3-pt harness seems like a step backwards, design & safety-wise.

Jmho,

Cheryl
ds-4/03, 30lbs, r/fing in a Britax Blvd.

bargainonboard
05-20-2006, 11:43 PM
The capsule in his prototypes was huge -- It will be very interesting to see how they might make this work for cars. However, I can see there being a relatively easy (but expensive) solution for minivans where second row seats are usually removable. You could just replace a seat with a capsule designed for your particular van model, or at least a specific base for your van onto which the capsule could snap in.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
05-21-2006, 03:03 PM
now there is a good idea... maybe you should be on the design team... hehe.. seriously, you should email that to evenflo and the inventor... because that would be the fastest way to get moms with vans/suvs with removeable seats to go for it.

in fact, moms with twins/triplets would probably like that cause it would be easier to install the seats and they could just pop out a bench/captians chairs

or think of moms with high order multiples... like quints.. just take a dodge caravan, pop out the seats, pop in the capsules... and done.

no worrying about how to install or how to fit them in.