PDA

View Full Version : Which booster seats have tethers?

Elizasmom
05-21-2006, 02:33 PM
We just bought a new Honda Accord as our second car. It has a bit of a hump in the center (it's a wide hump, so not an unusable spot imo), so I'd like to find a booster with a tether for more stability. I bought the Recaro Young Style but it doesn't have a tether (thought it did). I am aware of the other two Recaro boosters that do have a tether, but I don't like their weight and cost. Are there any other options? Anyone else with an Accord who has found a booster that works well in the center?

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
05-21-2006, 02:47 PM
nope, no other highback boosters with a tether that is useable in booster mode

the tethers are typically only put on boosters that are heavy.

thaqt is why boosters are typically so lightweight.

check your vehicle manual and make sure you can even put a carseat/booster in the middle in that vehicle.

Sorry, I forgot about the Graco Cargos.

Elizasmom
05-21-2006, 02:50 PM
You can put a booster/car seat in the middle. It has a tether anchor location in that spot. I am a freak about not wanting my kids near the door. That was a huge consideration when we bought the car!

Are you sure none of the harness/booster combo seats allow tethers in booster mode? That seems strange to me.

Kidrepair
05-21-2006, 02:53 PM
My Graco platinum cargo can be used with a tether in the booster mode, although it does not make a good booster, IMO. I was told I had to unlatch the lower anchors but could use it with the tether. Don't know if this is correct info or not but I got it right from the manufacturer.

Joolsplus2
05-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Yup, Graco Cargos CAN be used with the top tether in booster mode. So can the Recaro Young Sport and Start. The Jane Indy Plus is about to come out, and it has 'LACH', as in lower anchors but no top tether... of course that's just a factoid given what Elizasmom is looking for (I couldn't help throw it out there, lol).
Safeguard Go? RideSafer Travel vest? Those can be used in the center of that car, too.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
05-21-2006, 03:48 PM
I edited my original post, but I'm going to also post a reply here.

I forgot that the Graco Cargos can... but also, I was thinking of just dedicated boosters... I wasn't thinking about harnessed boosters, but since I think they still make the my cargo, which isn't harnessed, I should have thought of it... and I'm so sorry that I didn't remember.

Kat

Elizasmom
05-21-2006, 05:23 PM
I just went to BuyBuy Baby and tried a bunch of floor models. The Recaros (with tethers) did not fit all that well even with the tether. The best one by far was the Graco TurboBooster (high back). It was really stable. It didn't wobble to any significant degree because the base was narrower than the hump. Of course, in a side accident it could slip off the hump and become less stable I suppose. Is that really a concern though? Should my concern be just that it does not wobble during normal use while driving? In an accident, it would fly forward anyway, so the hump wouldn't really matter, right?

One seat I did not try is the Cosco Protek, which got a great Consumer Reports rating. Does it have the white crash foam like the Turbo?

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
05-21-2006, 07:25 PM
No, it doesn't... none of the cosco seats do.

I wouldn't be worried about the slight movement... the seatbelt should keep it from moving much... no more than any other space, since you siad it is narrower than the hump of a middle seat.

Elizasmom
05-21-2006, 07:36 PM
I just looked at the Jane booster mentioned above. I wonder how much it will cost. It looks great. However, I don't know if I can "fake" a LATCH in the center position of the Accord. Does anyone know Honda's postion on that? I measured the distance between the two inner connectors, and it looks like 10.5" on center, while the distance between the outboard connectors is 11". Does that mean the rigid connectors on the Jane would not fit for sure?

Splash
05-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Even if it did, you can't use the two outboard anchors for a center install in Honda.

Elizasmom
05-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Would it be different with a booster though? The LATCH connectors would not have to actually hold the child's weight.

kcimato
05-21-2006, 08:23 PM
I just saw the Jane booster on kiwi kids for $199

murphydog77
05-21-2006, 11:41 PM
With rigid LATCH, you must use the designated lower LATCH anchors for the seating position, which means that since Hondas don't have dedicated lower LATCH anchors for the center positions, you can't use any rigid LATCH seats there. Some car seat manufacturers with flexible LATCH connectors, like Britax, say that if the vehicle manufacturer allows it, you can use the inside lower anchors for the outboard seating positions. But, since the rigid LATCH connectors are a set distance apart and are tested at that distance, you just can't fudge it.

Heather, CPS Tech
http://www.CarSeatSite.com

Joolsplus2
05-22-2006, 09:30 AM
That awful new 'Prospect' has foam...I think they are mocking us...we ask for foam, and they give us an entire icechest behind the kid's head? :P

I agree, if the Turbo fits, great, it's a fine choice (the Protek is really, really junk... )
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx