PDA

View Full Version : MA styrofoam

KAK22
05-21-2006, 08:38 PM
In both of our Marathons there were 2 pieces of what looked like styrofoam in the front bottom of the carseat. It was under the cover in 2 nooks. Is this supposed to be removed or stay in the seat?

Thanks so much!

jeanum
05-21-2006, 08:52 PM
Although those pieces of styrofoam sort of look like packing material, they're actually part of the seat and meant to be left there. :) HTH.

KAK22
05-21-2006, 09:28 PM
Thank you so much. I guess I'll be calling Britax to see if they'll send me another set. Why, oh why, don't they put a sticker on the foam to LEAVE IT WHERE IT IS!?!?!

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
05-21-2006, 11:26 PM
it is EPS foam.

it is a special kind of styrofoam that helps asorb crash forces.

Good rule of thumb is to never remove things that are in the seat... aka... under the cover.

jeanum
05-22-2006, 07:01 AM
I agree it would be helpful if Britax put a sticker on them or next to the notches in the seat explaining those foam pieces should be left in there. It probably wouldn't hurt if they did so on the bigger piece of EPS foam in the head and torso part of the seat for that matter, because I know of other parents who wondered if it's part of the packaging material as well. I would think Britax would be willing to send replacement pieces to you. I'm curious to hear what Britax does when you call.

kbudsberg
05-22-2006, 08:49 AM
I also removed them from my Wizard. Fortunately someone here told me not to before I threw them out. They look like shipping packaging. What further led me to remove them was that the manual was attached to the seat in the same location. I was trying to remove the manual to read it and noticed the styrofoam. Figured to get the maual out I had to remove it so it must be packaging stuff. I agree they should add something that says "do not remove" or at least make them not so easy to slide out, which also led me to think they were supposed to be removed. I wonder how many people have removed them.

Splash
05-22-2006, 12:48 PM
Yep, leave it.
I don't think Britax really needs to add a sticker. Well, maybe they do. But I don't understand why people would think it NEEDS to be removed. That leaves big divots under teh child's legs and it's not really easy to take out either. It never would have occured to me to removed it. I would think that ANYTHING that needs to be removed would say so IN the manual.

kbudsberg
05-22-2006, 02:16 PM
>Yep, leave it.
>I don't think Britax really needs to add a sticker. Well,
>maybe they do. But I don't understand why people would think
>it NEEDS to be removed. That leaves big divots under teh
>child's legs and it's not really easy to take out either. It
>never would have occured to me to removed it. I would think
>that ANYTHING that needs to be removed would say so IN the
>manual.

It was very easy to remove in the Wizard. Slid right out. Like I said my manual was tucked in w/it as well. I didn't think it "needed" to but since nothing said to leave and the manual was tucked behind it I thought it was packaging. None of the other carseats I've owned (non-Britax) and anything similiar to it under the seat.

Splash
05-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Man mine had to be pried out! It was very difficult to get it out to get to the bolts to remove the lockoffs. I suppose if it just slid out I might wonder... but there is NO WAY the stuff is sliding out of my seat!

shilo
05-22-2006, 02:43 PM
haha, too funny, my husband thought this was packaging on our BV and threw it out with the box for the same reason - he couldn't get to the manual. it was not until i saw him to the same thing with the DC we got later for his car that i realized what he'd done. i called britax, they shipped them to me for free. the guy knew immediately what i was talking about, and had the replacement numbers memorized, so i'm guessing this happens all of the time...

anyway, my husband is a certifiable genius in his field, but apparently not when it comes to car seats :). so fwiw, i guess that means maybe they should add a 'do not remove' stamp or sticker.

lori

Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

KAK22
05-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Mine slid out when I pulled up the cover looking for the instruction booklet. It fell right on the floor when I tipped the seat forward - on both Marathons!

mariza
05-22-2006, 06:57 PM
I'm with Splash, it never would have occured to remove something that was under the cover. I guess it's pretty common though, they would probably save themselves some money by stamping a "do not remove" on those pieces.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
05-22-2006, 10:38 PM
I'm totally with you... just to get to the manual requires some big prying... I folded the manual and put it in with the foam so it wouldn't itch Ruthie's leg through the cover.

And the big holes it would leave would not be comfy.

blessedmtk11
05-23-2006, 10:42 AM
>I also removed them from my Wizard. Fortunately someone here
>told me not to before I threw them out. They look like
>shipping packaging. What further led me to remove them was
>that the manual was attached to the seat in the same location.
>I was trying to remove the manual to read it and noticed the
>styrofoam. Figured to get the maual out I had to remove it so
>it must be packaging stuff. I agree they should add something
>that says "do not remove" or at least make them not so easy to
>slide out, which also led me to think they were supposed to be
>removed. I wonder how many people have removed them.
>
>
Thanks for posting this! Dh and I just got our Boulevard and we were just about to toss those out until I read this post! Our manual was also located with the styrofoam so we had to remove those pieces in order to remove the manual. Since they were so easily removed, we assumed they were just packaging material.