PDA

View Full Version : Why I'm sticking with the Snugride (help me pick which one)

mariza
05-22-2006, 11:59 AM
I thought I made up my mind to go with the Key Fit, but when I went to look at it at BRU I tried it in my P3 and was not comfortable with how it sat in there. My Snugride can sit on the tray and I can get it to "click" on so it's somewhat secure. I would definately have to use the strap on the Key Fit in order to feel secure, but I just don't use it enough as a travel system to bother going through all that. When I do use it as a TS it's for very quick,in and out errands so to have to use the strap every time kind of defeats the purpose.
Also, I don't like how the groves to attach the seatbelt without using the base were under the cover. Seemed it would make it really difficult to use comfortably for baby and person installing with this method. Lastly, the extra bases are really pricey and I would like 2 extra, but could live with just one extra. Honestly, I can live without the TS feature, but the other 2 factors are big ones for me. My Mom takes my DD a lot and I would not feel comfortable with her installing the seat securely everytime w/out a base.
It's too bad because I love everything else about this seat.
Also ruled out the SafeSeat due to it's weight and size. I found it heavy lifting when it was empty, I don't think my Mom could handle it with a baby and my DD with her.
So, I'm back on the Snugride. We never had complaints with DD's, it was easy enough to use and she seemed to like it and fit in it until seven months at the old height limit, I only got rid of it because I thought it would be a few years before we needed an infant sat again. We still have 2 bases though.
So, I definately decided I want the "higher end" snugride with Gracopedic foam, but they all seem really hot to me. DS will be born in late August and hopefully will fit into the Snugride through most of the winter. Which pattern will be good for both summer and winter for a boy? Also would like to keep it under $150. Thanks for reading this far!

Joolsplus2
05-22-2006, 12:29 PM
Congratulations! How about Emerson? http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/product.aspx? modelNumber=8465EME2&CategoryID=1

Or Gridlock in the same trim level? Oh ugh, no gracopedic foam, there! which ones do have it? i can't see them...? baby on lap is my excuse!

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

new_mommy25
05-22-2006, 01:13 PM
I was going to get a Keyfit as well for my DD but we also ended up getting a Snugride. I also liked how the Snugride fit with the P3 I already have.

We got the Gracopedic foam Snugride in the Metropolitan fabric. It's very hot where we live so we just removed the boot. I thought I wouldn't like the fabric but it's actually got for the hot environment it seems. DD has never been sweaty.

http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/product.aspx?modelNumber=8649MTR2&CategoryID=1

thing1andt2
05-22-2006, 03:46 PM
I am going through a similar dilemma, and decided on snugride as I am getting the i'coo infinity and really need the snap and go option for getting the twins to/from preschool this winter.

I actually talked to Graco regarding the GracoPedic foam and was told to look for any model with 8649 as the model number. I am getting the central park from albee baby. They have Lotus (red) and metropolitan (silver) on sale as well, for around $119-129 free shipping.

I would think that any of these would be great for a boy. Harder for a girl actually! I really wanted the Giselle but would rather get the nicer padding so decided on Central Park.

mariza
05-22-2006, 05:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm suprised that the Metropolitan isn't hot, that's why I wasn't considering it. It just seems like it would be really sweaty in there!
I'm leaning toward the Lotus (Julie, didn't you buy one of these a while ago?) I just can't find one IRL and the material looks almost flannel from the pic. I checked the Graco website and they say there is an online outlet coming soon, maybe they'll discount some of these fabrics.
I'll just wait until July to actually buy anything, but I'm stressing about it now :o

Joolsplus2
05-22-2006, 06:40 PM
Oooh, good memory! I was seriously considering Lotus for my cousin, yup. I got her the Key Fit, though, I just couldn't resist!
I really DO like the Snugride, as long as it's not being installed with a lap/shoulderbelt...that's my only beef with it (tipping! ick!), it's really just a very elegantly designed seat, otherwise...and if I didn't have FIVE seats already, I'd be tempted to get a pink one!

:)

mariza
05-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Yep, all our cars have LATCH (mine, DH's and my Mom's that is) The primary car (mine) a Chevy Uplander is weird though, there are 2 chairs in the 2nd row and only one is Latch equipped. Maybe becasue the other has a built-in (behind the cushion) harness they thought they didn't need to put Latch in both seats.
I use the should belt for DD's Marathon anyway, so not a big deal; I guess I just can't have any more kids for a while. Maybe Chevy was trying to tell me I don't need 2 kids in seats!

thing1andt2
05-23-2006, 02:15 PM
Hi Julie
I was thinking of getting the pink (giselle) but was warned away as it doesn't have the gracopedic foam. What are your thoughts on that? I really LOVE this color, and even went as far as asking if I could put the pink skins on the seat with the foam and was told no as it was cut different to accomodate the extra padding. The good mom in me says stick with the foam, the selfish mom in me says go for the pink!
Beth

Joolsplus2
05-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Considering the zillion moms in the world who use the seat without the foam, the few I've heard complain their babies hate it without the foam is small (ie, 'lots' of babies hate it without the foam, but gosh, lots out of millions is still almost none, know what I mean?) None of my seats now have hefty padding, and my kid doesn't complain, lol.

:)

mariza
05-23-2006, 07:31 PM
I'm re-thinking the foam too. DD didn't have it in her old seat and she never fussed in it. Babyage has a 15% sale going on and they have the Fiesta seat which is red and black to match the Red Zooper Tango I want. Not that the Zooper is even carseat compatible, but hey I might just rig it to work if I'm in a pinch (speaking of bad mamma)!

thing1andt2
05-24-2006, 07:38 AM
That is kind of what I was thinking, it is hard not to get stucked in. Considering my last infant seat was an evenflo that you had to pull the 2 seperate harnesses on the rear of the seat to adjust, any snugride is going to feel and work like a Lexus compared to that! I am having a hard time steering away from the Giselle, esp after 2 boys and being preggo with my last baby, a girl!

mariza
05-24-2006, 09:06 AM
Congrats on the baby girl, thats great! I'm not sure if this baby will be our last, I'm looking for seats a bit more gender neautral. I love the pink, you should go for it escpecially if you know this is your last.

AtomicLush
05-25-2006, 02:15 PM
I also got a SnugRide with GracoPedic foam...I got the Central Park version, but it's no longer in production. It's the black/cream version of the Cotton Tail. I got it for $129.99 at AlbeeBaby...I was hoping that it would go on "sale" since it's a closeout pattern, but I heard from a couple of the stores that I called that it's a "popular style" so they won't discount it...they are clearing out by themselves. Oh well. Anyhoo, you can probably find one with GracoPedic foam for about $110-$120 if you aren't that particular about the design...seen some on sale online for the Lotus and Metropolitan patterns.

Cotton Tail
http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/product.aspx?modelNumber=8649COT2&subCatId=15

Lotus
http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/product.aspx?modelNumber=8649LOT2&subCatId=15

Metropolitain
http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/product.aspx?modelNumber=8649MTR2&subCatId=15

mariza
05-25-2006, 03:00 PM
According to the Graco website they have an online outlet "coming soon". I think I'll give it a few weeks and see what they sell on their outlet before I buy at the store. Baby is due late August so I can wait until July, but I really would like to have it installed before August 1 (just in case :) )

Nooknookmom
05-26-2006, 09:27 PM
or not. I say this because babies aren't supposed to spend excessive amounts of time in their carseats outside of the car. They should be *in* the stroller seat itself where they can lie flat.

Plus baby is going to outgrow that seat in 3-8 months (usually) anyway.

I would get the Keyfit if it were me ;)

Happy shopping!

mariza
05-27-2006, 12:04 AM
the compatability with the P3 is just an added "bonus" for quick trips, when DD was an infant I usually placed her in the stroller. My main gripe with the Key Fit is the way the groves are under the seat for use without the base and cost of the additional bases. I love everything else about this seat.
But, I already have 2 bases from my old Snugride (why, oh why did i sell it?). My Mom will be helping out and I just don't trust that she will install the KeyFit correctly without the base. Since the baby will only be in the seat for a few months I'd rather spend the money on a Britax for when DS outgrows the Snugride than on 2 extra Keyft bases.
1 Keyfit + 2 extra bases= 1 Decathalon
This is the new "baby math" ;-)

p.s. I know I could put DS in the Britax right away, but DD will only be 19 months when he arrives so I need the ease of the baby carrier until she learns how to listen better!

Nooknookmom
05-27-2006, 03:48 PM

thing1andt2
05-30-2006, 10:28 AM
I agree about not using the car seat all the time, BUT living in a cold climate and having to get 2 preschoolers out of the car in into and out of school, I would not want to be taking a baby out of a car seat, putting them in a bunting (since it isn't safe to put an infant in a snowsuit in a car seat) then putting in a stroller to walk across the parking lot twice a day when the windchill is 10 degrees out and and it is snowing.

If I was going to the mall for an hour, then I would use my beautfiul new RSB bassinet with my infinity, but for quick trips and bad weather, the car seat option can't be beat. Just hoping that I don't have a 3rd reflux baby that can't lie flat in my bassinet!