PDA

View Full Version : Wow. A pediatrician who knows what she's talking about

Splash
05-24-2006, 10:13 AM
Charlie has his nine month WBV today. His pediatrician and I are at odds on some things (he sleeps with us, he's not vaccinated, he doesn't get any solid food) but for the most part I really REALLY like her.
Well she has car seat pamphlets in the waiting room, and flyers posted telling people where/how to get their seat checked, and 'boosters are for big kids' posters. So I know she's fairly pro car safety.
Well today she mentioned Charlie's size (24 pounds, 31 inches) and said "but remember he has to be rear facing in the car until at least 30 pounds and 18 months, and longer if you're car seat goes to a higher weight."
Wow!

No 12/20 crap, no parent's choice. 30 pounds AND 18 months minimum.

I was pleased.

elliput
05-24-2006, 10:22 AM
:-) I'd be pleased also! At DD's 15 month appt the CNP was pleased that we were keeping DD rear-facing to the limit of the seat. "Much safer" was her comment. :-)

Puddy73
05-24-2006, 11:13 AM
Wow, that's great! I like our ped, but he gave us the 20 pounds/12 months info.

On a slightly related note, I just received a supplement to the owner's manual for my Volvo, and it suggests that children be rearfacing up to AGE 4! Nice recommendation, but I'm pretty sure that my big 2 year old is beyond the weight limit for all rearfacing seats. I wonder if European seats have higher rearfacing weight limits?

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

Splash
05-24-2006, 11:35 AM
Yeah, they do, but it depends on which country.
And since Volvo is (or was) a Swedish vehicle, it would make sense. Since Sweden has the highest weight RF seats and the longest RF time of any of them... up to 55 pounds in some cases. Oh what I wouldn't give to be able to do that....

Puddy73
05-25-2006, 09:43 AM
I have some cousins in Sweden - maybe I could arrange to trade them some Levis for carseats! I can't imagine a tall three year old being comfortable rearfacing, so I'd love to see what their seats look like.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

Splash
05-25-2006, 12:02 PM
Ask and you shall receive

http://www.cpsafety.org/articles/RFAlbumAll.aspx/