PDA

View Full Version : Radian Questions

JennsBabySky
05-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Hi,
I transport my friend's 1 year old on a frequent basis. My old Roundabout just expired, so I need to get a new seat. I've heard mixed reviews on installing the Radian, so much seems to be dependent on the car. However, I'd love to get this because we take airplane trips at least a couple times a year and I would really rather travel with the Radian than our Marathon.

Just how difficult is the Radian install? Anyone try it in a Chevy Uplander? And where is the cheapest place to find one?

Thank you so much,
Jennifer

bensmom
05-24-2006, 12:02 PM
I had problems getting an acceptable installation with my Radian using a seatbelt, but I've been told that it installs ok with LATCH (I don't have LATCH in my car).

FWIW though, I thought that the Radian was bulky and heavy and I personally would not travel with it. I have a RA, not a MA, but I would take the RA over the Radian (although at the moment I use a Touriva for travel).

I think that Julie uses a Radian in her car and likes it, so hopefully she'll chime in.

Ilana

CPS Tech and mom

kellyotn
05-24-2006, 12:21 PM
I've not seen a Radian, but according to its specs, it does weigh a ton. And, given its installation issues I'd be loathe to fly with it unless I knew it'd work in the car waiting at the destination.

Would a Scenera work for one of the kids for traveling? Its great for travel because its sooooo lightweight. Its really easy to install in most cars, I believe.

JennsBabySky
05-24-2006, 01:45 PM
I'll probably get the Scenera if I don't get the Radian. When we travel, we usually end up doing some sort of bus travel (since we often go to Disney), so I'm less worried about the installation in the follow up car. Otherwise, we'd be renting a car and those are usually newer and have LATCH. I just liked the higher weight limit and the fold. I'm less concerned about the weight of the actual seat. I think I'll end up getting the Scenera, but there are definitely a few features on the Radian that I like much better. Plus I'm just not a huge fan of Cosco seats. I *know* the Scenera is a fine option and I have installed one in my friend's car as a backup seat, but it just isn't my first choice. But it really is fine for occassional use and travel.

kellyotn
05-24-2006, 01:58 PM
Well, maybe the Radian would be good then. I think with LATCH it works well. I'm interested in one too, but can't try one in person and am hesitant b/c our car can't use LATCH after 40 lbs (and she's almost there) and our truck doesn't have LATCH.

Joolsplus2
05-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Too bad she's only one... The Safeguard Go is fantabulous for travel... buy a scenera now and save up for a Go? The Radian is basically fine, but it should come with a bag or carry strap or something, it's like awkwardly hauling a ton of lead, lol. (fortunately it fits great in the middle of my dh's ford escape and I can get boosters for my other kids on either side of it, it's so narrow, so I'm fairly glad I have it, but I tried my usual travel set up of putting a seat in a stroller, and I thought my poor maclaren was going to go on strike...and it can easily handle my Marathon with even a 4 yo in it!)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

jiskafo
05-26-2006, 09:22 PM
You can purchase a carry bag for the Radian at most places that sell the car seat. It weighs about 21 lbs so you may want to look at using a Tote-a-tot: http://www.toteatot.com/products.html or a Traveling Toddler: http://www.travelingwithkids.com/product_info.php/pName/traveling-toddler/cName/car-seats-accessories-all-car-seats-accessories)

I have tried the Radian with seatbeltsin the backseat and front seat of a 2000 Ford F150 Extended cab and a 2000 Ford Explorer 4Dr. As long as I use the knee in the seat method, I get a good fit on both cars. My 27 month old DS loves his big boy seat and I love the fact I will be able to keep him harnassed for a long time to come. The fact the seat is only 14" wide in the seat will make it much easier for airline travel, especially in the bulk head seat

thing1andt2
05-30-2006, 10:34 AM
I have 2 radians and 2 roundabouts. I can't imagine lugging the Radians on plane, they are SOOOO heavy. We will have to as our next seats are going to be the Recaro Young Starts and they are not approved for airline use. The bags will help, but I guess alot depends on if you have other kids who need car seats on the plane.

We have twins, so would have 2 of them to carry.

I have only installed with Latch so can't help with seat belt installs. My only hint with latch install is to recline the seat a bit if possible, then install. Pull as hard as you can on the latch belt then feed the lead through all the way to the right so you can pull horizontally across. Then put seat to correct positon.

MonsterMom6
05-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Could you tell me how your RAs compare with the Radians? I'm most interested in top slot harness height and cushion.

I'm not concerned with folding or weight of the seat as mine will essentially be a permanent installation in our conversion van. I doubt we will be doing any air travel in the next few years.

Three of my quads are at the top strap limit on their RAs. My heaviest is only 32#. They will be 4 in July, but I want them harnessed another 1.5 - 2 years. If they grow like their brother (3 are built very similar) they won't be 40# when they turn 6. He will be 6 in September and is only 38#.

Also, anyone know where I can see a Radian IRL?

Thanks so much. Everytime I think I have it figured out, I find another reason to look at yet another seat.

ETA: I'm also looking at Young Starts. I have a concern about how easy it is to thread the seat belt when in BPB mode and how long they will likely be in the harness. A company near me that sells Recaro racing seats has ordered one in for me to see IRL. Hopefully I can see one this week.

Donna

JennsBabySky
06-01-2006, 01:10 AM
Thank you so much for your reply to my question. Since you have both the Roundabout and Radian, I was wondering if you have ever had them side by side? I know the Radian does not have a base, and the Roundabout does. I find it more difficult to install a carseat in the third row of the van because the headrest does not move. It is easiest and more secure if the seat fits underneath the headrest. My current seat, a Roundabout, does fit. I was hoping that the Radian isn't too much higher on the seat since it does not have that base.

Thanks so much,
Jennifer

strollerfreak
06-01-2006, 06:34 AM
Hi, I'm jumping in here...I had a Radian, and here are some pictures of it installed next to a Wizard (same basic shell as a Marathon). I didn't happen to take any pictures of it installed next to my Roundabout. Not the best pictures of my DD as it was past her bedtime, but you get the idea. ;-)

http://strollerfreak.itgo.com/carseats/ReiganRFRadian2.jpg
http://strollerfreak.itgo.com/carseats/ReiganRFRadian1.jpg

I didn't keep my Radian as it was purchased for my 41lb 5yo who still had TONS of growing room in it....but I couldn't get it properly installed in my vehicle AT ALL forward facing.

ETA: I also fly alot with the kiddos due to my dh's job and I would NEVER consider using this seat to travel with. It's too heavy, and it's all distributed WRONG to lug around. The back is the tallest part, and it's also the heaviest, so the thing flops over anytime you set it down. I've flown with our Marathon & our Roundabouts before and I'd take both of those again anyday over even trying to attempt to fly with that bad puppy.

Joolsplus2
06-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Thanks, Mel :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

JennsBabySky
06-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Thank you so much for the pictures, they really help out. One of the things I really liked about the Radian was that it folded relatively flat. So far, our favorite family vacation has been the Disney cruise. But in order to keep going back, we always get the smallest room possible. And since we leave in California, we need to fly to Florida. It gets really annoying to trip over the carseat and stoller on a daily basis. I thought it would be super nice if we could stash it under the bed.

I'm thinking I need to just go with the Scenera for the extra seat. If I do try the Radian, I'll double check the return policy from wherever I buy it from, it just sounds like the Radian has a few too many variables. Hopefully enough will sell that Sunshine Kids will keep the Radian around and make an updated version of it. There are definitely some nice features that this seat has.