PDA

View Full Version : How long til she reaches 40 lbs?

tjham
05-26-2006, 01:15 PM
My granddaughter is one month away from being 5. She weighed 33 lbs. for almost a year. Just lately, she's at 34 lbs. Are there any charts to see (a guess, of course) when she may hit 40 lbs.? I'm thinking about getting a Plat Cargo (but not as a booster) for her dad's car (occasional use, harnessed only, then he stows it under a covered bed, so he wants small and light, not another MA or FP) Right now, she still fits in the AO (no base, harnessed). We already have a Chase, which fits the bill, but it doesn't recline and her head flops. She still sleeps a lot in car seats. Usually, if they are going very far in his truck, they put in the MA, but not always. We also have a Bolero, but same problem with head flopping.

So...How much time do you think we would have with the Cargo (harnessed)? If it's over a year or so, it would be worth the $100!

Between us (mom, dad, me),for her, we have the Ashley Floral MA, Chase, Bolero, AO and Scenera. I bought them all. (Do I qualify as a geek yet?)

momtoB
05-26-2006, 06:06 PM
I think it's probably unlikely that she will gain 6lbs in a year. According to my ped, kids tend to gain about 4lbs a year or so, but I really don't know how accurate that is. I would think it could vary greatly by child. Sorry I can't help more!

Btw, another thought I had... How much room does she have to grow height wise in the AO? Remember, the very top slot can only be used for BPB mode, not harnessed, as it's not reinforced. The 2nd from top slot is the highest that can be used for harnessing. If she still fits under the 2nd from top slot on the AO harness, then you could buy her a $40-50 5-pt Scenera for her dad's truck. The Scenera and AO's have the same height harness slots.

My ds rode in a Touriva (very similar, replaced by the Scenera) in MIL's car and he never had a head flopping issue in this seat. Just thought I would mention it!

Cheryl
ds-4/03 (Wish I still fit in my Touriva! My head flops in my new Bolero too.)

Splash
05-26-2006, 09:33 PM
It's not that the top slots are not reinforced. It's that they fail head excursion. Of course, the entire seat fails head excursion without the tether, but that's another story entirely.
The harness isn't going to rip out in a crash. It just won't hold the child back as well.

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
05-26-2006, 11:37 PM
could you please measure her torso? what slot in the AO is she in? What slot in the Chase?

I'm thinking that the best bet would be to get her the Graco Safeseat Step 2, depending on how much room she has to go in the other seats.

Like the Cargos, it has 17" top slots, but it's much easier to install, more padded, and reclines while installed.... with child in it... so recline could be adjusted as needed since her head is still flopping forward some.

tjham
05-26-2006, 11:38 PM
She is in the second from the top slots on the AO (15" top slots) with a bit to spare. Also the second from the top in the Chase (14.5) I have the Scenera (14.5 slots) in my car and she is just almost to the top slot so I don't see that lasting too long. But you're right. No head flopping in the Scenera! I actually bought the Scenera for my 12 month old grandson but then granddaughter just barely outgrew the FPSE (which I LOVE!)with 14 inch top slots so I'm now using the SE for him and the Scenera for her! Musical car seats!

Interesting about the Safeseat 2! Where are these available? How much?

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
05-27-2006, 12:01 AM
Here are the specs on the Safeseat 2... it is an awesome seat for the skinny kids.

http://www.gracobaby.com/products/subcategory.asp?N=41+10417+109+63+75&act=A25

the two least padded ones are the ones I've seen IRL... one is sold at BRU... one at TRU.... they are great seats.

on another board, I recommended one to a mom with a skinny toddler who was already ff, needed a seat that had 17" slots (taller slots would have been too much seat), under 200 dollars, didn't need the 55lb weight limit or rf capabilities fo the Fisher Price, and the mom loved it because the Safeseat 2 is the only seat her dh has ever installed right before her corrections or anything... it was that easy.... he had done it right.

It's basically just like the old Maxi Cosi Priori that a lot of people loved for a ff seat because it was so easy to use.

Another reason it would be good is since you have another grandchild, when she outgrows it, he could give the seat to you to pass down to his daughter's cousin.

Kat

tjham
05-27-2006, 01:58 AM
I did some checking on the Safeseat 2. It looks awesome, but...he wants a light seat cause he has to move it to the back so much. The SS 2 is 22 lbs. (That's more than the Radian!) The Plat. Cargo is 12 lbs. The MA is 18. Wonder why the SS 2 weighes more than the MA? But...it's slots are 17, so it's still a possibility. But it is around $180. I could get a FP for that. But son would not like the crazy circles. Oh, dear!

Joolsplus2
05-27-2006, 08:39 AM
The bar moves up to the top slots, so it's technically reinforced in that way, but the headrest plastic isn't good enough to prevent head excursion (by holding the bar itself in place). So in reality it IS accurate to say 'the topmost slots are not reinforced'.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Joolsplus2
05-27-2006, 08:43 AM
The SS2 has a huge amount of structure/plastic in it's 'base' so that it can recline while installed... yeah, it's a laz-z-boy chair, for sure!
I'd say the Recaro Young Sport, as it makes an awesome booster, but it's just as heavy.
Oh, just buy that Cargo...you know you want it! ( >:-} ... devil on your shoulder, muahahahahaha)

:)

Kat_Mom2D_J_andRuthie
05-27-2006, 08:53 PM
the two that are TRU/BRU models are cheaper,but it is close, i agree.

if he needs lightweight, then the platinum Cargo would offer the most recline... but it's not much.

Kat

tjham
06-07-2006, 05:30 PM
***Oh, just buy that Cargo...you know you want it! ( >:-} ... devil on your shoulder, muahahahahaha)

You're right... and I did!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=13&topic_id=43871&mesg_id=43871&page=