PDA

View Full Version : Can you install LATCH in vehicles after market?

ChrissyJames
05-26-2006, 01:34 PM
We have a 97 Honda CRV and a 91 Volkswagen camperized van, both of which were manufactured pre-LATCH, which makes it a pain to install our carseats (marathon). Does anyone know if a shop will install LATCH after market, whether this is even possible and approximate costs?

kellyotn
05-26-2006, 02:06 PM
The only manufacturers that allow it are Audi and VW, but I think 91 is too old. Basically, a couple years prior to the official requirement for LATCH Audi and VW making them structurally as if they were putting LATCH in, but they just didn't actually put the LATCH part in. A car within that window could be retrofitted (for free!) but I'd think 91 was before LATCH was dreamed up.

Maybe post what problems you are having and we can help? (ie, what position the seats are in, RF or FF, problem with the belt, tethering?)

(edited for typo)

Joolsplus2
05-26-2006, 03:41 PM
If you move your seat(s) a lot, you can run the seatbelt over the cover (through those slits in it) and that makes it much, much quicker... doesn't make the lockoffs any easier, but eh, it's just practice (I sorta find the seatbelt easier than the LATCH when it's forward facing, though...only one buckle to click).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx