PDA

View Full Version : Rear-Ended, Do I need New Car Seats?

sueprinter
05-29-2006, 11:09 PM
Hello,

Sorry to revisit this issue, but I couldnt find it in the past posts. My husband, DS, and DD were rear-ended late last week. We are all ok, and the impact was very minor. It did make a large dent in my back bumper, DH back hurt for a day or so, and my neck hurt a little, so I guess "minor" is hard to define. Both my kids were fine. My 7 year old DS (who cannot sit still) was buckled in his Britax Husky, and my 3 year old DD was in her Marathon. (I love these seats by the way). So here is my question, do I need to buy new car seats since we were in a "collision"? I dont mind spending the money, if that is what is recommended.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sue

kellyotn
05-30-2006, 12:18 AM
Call Britax. They have a set of criteria they'll ask about the accident and they'll give you their recommendation.

momofmany
05-30-2006, 02:10 AM
I believe the rule of thumb is "if a car seat has been involved in an accident (meaning in a car that has been in an accident, regardless of if a child was in the seat or not), it should be replaced. I have had a similar experience and the insurance company took care of it. They initially balked at replacing the seat, until I asked them to then "guarantee, in writing, the safety of the car seat that had been involved in an accident." The agreed to pay for a comparable new seat. It is worthwhile to pursue this with insurance because they will pay for it.

Good luck!

Joolsplus2
05-30-2006, 07:16 AM
DO call Britax to be sure, and if they do need replacing, DO get the other fella's insurance company to pay for it :)
LOL, my 8.5 yo CAN sit still, and he's still in a Husky ;)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

kellyotn
05-30-2006, 07:30 AM
Britax actually "allows" their seats to remain in use if the crash passes certain criteria. Additionally, if they don't pass, they may request to study them and will replace the seats.

Each company handles it differently. Some do say, "any accident = replace".

stillplayswithbarbies
05-30-2006, 12:18 PM
even if Britax says no, you can still ask the insurance company to replace them. I asked the adjuster and he had me fax him a receipt and sent us a check for the full amount. He didn't even question what Britax said, he just assumed they should be replaced because we asked.

SusanMae
05-30-2006, 04:25 PM
Don't forget about getting all occupied seatbelts replaced! Seatbelts stretch in an accident and may not provide the right protection next time around. If a carseat was being held in by a seat belt that that seat belt counts as used too!

Susan

sueprinter
05-30-2006, 11:40 PM
Wow, I never thought of that. How do I find out if the seatbelts need to be replaced?

Sue

sueprinter
05-30-2006, 11:41 PM
Thank you so much for your help. I am going to replace them, and hopefully the other guys insurance will pay for it. I really appreciate your help!!

Sue

SusanMae
05-31-2006, 06:41 AM
you could call your vehicle manufacturer and ask if seat belts need to be replaced after an accident.

I'm sure if you googled something like "replacing seatbelts after an accident" you would get some good info back. Or maybe the NHTSA has some info on their website.

Also you can ask his insurance company and if they balk--ask for a garuntee in writing like you would for your car seats. It's cheaper to replace them than give out a garuntee like that.

Susan

***ETA I found one link for you:
http://www.autolivaftermarket.com/si-correctuse.htm

Joolsplus2
05-31-2006, 01:47 PM
There's an enormous computerized check list that any reputable auto body shop will have (even my BIL's funky little shop had it, lol) and if they need replacing it'll be part of the checklist. A rearender actually puts very little stress on the belts, since the objects in the car move toward the point of impact and into the vehicle seats, away from the belts, in essence. If the pretensioners in the front seat deployed, obviously everything would have to be replaced, and sometimes there are seams that rip out in a crash and display a tag that says 'replace this seatbelt!' down on the side by the door of the back (maybe front, too, depends...). And if they are *obviously* stretched out or have runs in them, they should be replaced. But for a minor rear ender (no frame damage to the car, nothing but whiplash), I'd be less insistent on having them replaced, personally.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx