PDA

View Full Version : About seat protectors

bubbaray
05-31-2006, 02:36 PM
OK, so I know that you're not "supposed" to put anything between the seat and the child restraint. That said, I do it in my '05 Ody and I know tons of other moms who do. In fact, on another Board, every single mom with leather seats used some sort of seat protector, from towels to commercial products.

I'm just wondering, what is the issue with them? For example, DD's MA is installed FFg in my van with a towel under it. That install is rock solid -- DH is 200lbs and very fit. When he rocks the seat, the whole van rocks and the seat d/n move. I just can't see how that would be an issue in a crash as long as it maintained a secure install.

Wouldn't it be better to use something to protect seats rather than a "looser' install so as not to damage the leather? And, FWIW, DD's seat DID leave indents in the leather of my former Acura sedan.

Just wondering.

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

Joolsplus2
05-31-2006, 04:52 PM
Some manuals say it's just fine. Britax reps say something THIN is fine. The reason so many of us harp on using 'NOTHING!!!' is because creative (I'm being nice...) parents will actually use king sized comforters, lumber, building insulataion foam sheets, encyclopedias... you name it, to get a better install. It's too hard to say 'only use something that is thin and doesn't interfere with the installation, either making a loose installation tighter or a tight installation looser', and too easy to say, 'use nothing or just shelf liner' (I don't get most techs obsession with that stuff, personally, but I've found it useful in about 1% or less of installs).

So, yes, better to be tighter with a mat of some sort, as long as the installation is the same with or without it, then loose to 'protect the leather' (those dents always come out, though, no one believes it, but they DO come out, lol).

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

bubbaray
05-31-2006, 05:31 PM
[running back in from the van, after removing the comforter, encyclopedia, etc. -- J/K!!!!]

Thanks so much, Julie. I always wondered. :)

Thanks again!

Melissa

HannaAddict
05-31-2006, 06:34 PM
We do not use anything under our seats and the leather interior is fine with no damage, in our Volvo and Trooper. Just fyi.

Kimberly

bubbaray
05-31-2006, 06:49 PM
Like I said above, DD's MA did damage the leather in my Acura sedan. So did the Graco Comfortsport.

Maybe different car manufacturers use different leather, but I wasn't about to risk it with a brand new van, especially when the install was quite obviously solid.

Thanks for your feedback, though.

Melissa

HannaAddict
06-01-2006, 02:21 AM
I'm surprised the indents you mentioned in your original post didn't resolve. I didn't think indents = "damage" to the leather as you state in your most recent post. Glad you have a good install.

Splash
06-01-2006, 12:24 PM
I have a towel under an Apex in my van (for a kid we tote around occasionally) because I KNOW the spikes on the bottom, coupled with where they are positioned, WILL ruin the fabric underneath. That said, it's thin and the seat is very well installed.
I did have a towel under his BV in my vehicle when he was younger. However, as he got older, I couldn't get it as upright as I wanted with the towel, so the towel went.
As far as putting something underneath it, I do this-

Install the seat without it. Get it as tight as is humanly possible.
Undo it.
Put whatever it is you want to use underneath.
Buckle it in again with the anchor/belt at the EXACT SAME spot.

If you can't get it to the same spot again, then you are using the towel/mat/etc as 'leverage' to install the seat tightly, which isn't safe. At least, not safe enough that I would do it just to prevent dents in my upholstery.

I had a friend who had a towel under her marathon and the install was TIGHT. I rocked the vehicle when I rocked the seat.
I had her take the towel out, just to see.
Once the seat was back in not tightening or loosening the anchors straps AT ALL, there was close to an INCH of lateral movement.
Not worth it.